International Travel and Programs Policy for CU Boulder

Approved by the Provost

I. Introduction

To better support international activities and to address and minimize health, safety, and other risk issues for the university, the University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder) establishes the following policy regarding international travel by/with students that is CU Boulder-sponsored, CU Boulder-affiliated, or related to a CU Boulder activity/program. This policy serves to require review of international travel plans to mitigate risk regarding issues related to risk management, health and safety and will allow the campus to maintain better records of its international work.

International travel involving students that is CU Boulder-sponsored, CU Boulder-affiliated, or related to a CU Boulder activity/program must be reported to the CU Boulder Education Abroad, as outlined in the policy below. Such travel includes, but is not limited to, activities such as study abroad programs, international internships, international travel that is part of a class or is sponsored by an academic unit or Residential Academic Program, international service learning, volunteering, or research when it is required by a CU Boulder program, recognized student organization trips abroad, and attending international conferences

This policy excludes personal leisure or vacation travel that has no connection to CU Boulder.

CU Boulder does not recognize any obligation to support international travel by staff, students or faculty, which is undertaken strictly for personal reasons and CU Boulder is not responsible for assistance or liability in the event of any adverse consequences resulting from such travel. 

This policy is subject to the existing CU System policy regarding international travel, which remains in effect.

II. Policy

A. The CU Boulder International Travel Policy applies to the following three types of international travel and programs:

  1. International travel by students (or by staff or faculty accompanying students) on university business or sponsorship.
  2. Study abroad programs, international internships, research, volunteering, service learning, independent study done abroad, or international travel that is part of a class.
  3. International travel sponsored by or affiliated with CU Boulder or by a CU Boulder student organization. (This applies to both affiliated and independent student organizations registered with the Center for Student Engagement).

International travel or programs that fall into these categories must comply with the requirements detailed below.

B. Faculty, staff, or students leading, organizing or otherwise involved with student international travel sponsored by or affiliated with CU Boulder or by a CU Boulder student organization (including both affiliated and independent student organizations registered with SOFO) must contact Education Abroad (GlobalExperiences@Colorado.EDU) as early as possible before the travel/program begins. CU departments/programs funding projects that involve international travel by students are responsible for reporting this information to Education Abroad so that students can complete travel registration with Education Abroad prior to departure. Education Abroad will review the travel plans to ensure that best practices are being followed regarding arrangements for the health, safety, and security of the travelers, and to make sure that university policies are being followed; Education Abroad will provide pre-departure information for travelers and group leaders, and will insure travelers in a comprehensive group major medical/evacuation/repatriation insurance program. There is a fee for these services and for the insurance coverage.

C. All study abroad programs, international internships, and international service learning at CU Boulder must be operated through Education Abroad and have the approval of the campus Study Abroad Committee. This quality control ensures that programs have appropriate planning, implementation and oversight. Faculty interested in teaching a course abroad to CU Boulder students can reference the Global Seminars website, which provides information about faculty-led Global Seminars and guidelines on submitting proposals. 

D. Travel Warnings: If the U.S. Department of State has issued a Travel Warning related to a certain country or area within a country, CU Boulder will not approve student travel to that country or region. (Exceptions have been made in some cases. Examples include students travelling to their home country or to a site sponsored by a U.S. government agency. Email Travel Suspension appeal inquiries to GlobalExperiences@Colorado.EDU to request the appeal instructions and template.  Submit all required paperwork three months prior to the desired departure date.)


Guidelines for Professional/Academic International Activities

Education Abroad has developed a set of guidelines for all faculty, staff and students participating in activities abroad. The guidelines below apply to all travelers and provide a checklist of essential points to be used in preparation for travel abroad. 

Note: International travel sponsored by CU Boulder or by a student organization should contact Education Abroad (GlobalExperiences@Colorado.EDU) as early as possible before the travel/program begins. Refer to the International Travel and Program Policy for CU Boulder (above).

  1. Follow University policies for travel (e.g. travel authorization, ticket purchase, etc.)
  2. Follow Univeristy policies for information security
  3. Be aware of Export Controls: see additional information on Export Controls and tips on traveling with laptops, research equipment and other high-tech items
  4. If you plan to conduct research abroad, consult the Human Research Committee website
  5. Review U.S. Department of State Country Specific Information: The U.S. Department of State provides valuable information sheets for every country in the world. The information covers safety, crime, entrance and visa requirements, contacts for consulates and embassies, etc.
  6. Review any U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings or Travel AlertsNote that CU Boulder students are not allowed to travel to countries with a US DOS Travel Warning. Travel Warnings are issued when the U.S. government wants citizens to very carefully consider whether or not they should travel to that country. Travel Alerts are issued due to short-term events the U.S. government thinks citizens should know about before planning travel.
  7. Register your trip on the online U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  8. Be aware of required visas and travel documents: You may be required to obtain a visa or other travel documents in addition to a passport. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa type for the activities that you are undertaking in the host country. Failure to obtain the correct visa can lead to legal action by the host country. (For example, engaging in research without the proper permission in a foreign country can potentially lead to legal action and arrest by local authorities.) Visa requirements may be different for citizens of countries other than the United States. We recommend that non-U.S. citizens review the host country’s embassy website to identify entry and exit requirements for the host country applicable to their nationality.
  9. Insurance:

    For information regarding general and auto liability, and employee workers’ compensation insurance while traveling internationally, e-mail URM on at:

    As of September, 2014, CU provides faculty, staff, and students with insurance coverage through the GeoBlue Traveler Plan. The coverage is for travelers conducting university business who are travelling outside the U.S. for less than 180 consecutive days and who are under age 80. There is no premium charge to employees.  Travelers can locate their Group Access Code number from their CU International Letter emailed from Christopherson after they book their international travel through that travel agency. Travelers use the access code to register online. For more information about the GeoBlue plan, contact University Risk Management or PSC-Travel.

    Students and faculty going abroad who are working with Education Abroad as per the International Travel and Programs Policy for CU Boulder (see above) will have access to the Education Abroad group insurance policy which provides major medical, evacuation, and repatriation coverage.

  10. International travel resources: The University of Colorado provides a resource for international travel and assistance program, International SOS, to assist authorized travelers outside the U.S.  or information on this program and how to access it while traveling, call 303-860-5682 or refer to the University Risk Management (URM) website.

    Note that I-SOS is not an insurance plan. If a client uses the evacuation or medical services of I-SOS, I-SOS will bill the client.

  11. Reference the travel safety webpage on the Education Abroad website for health, safety and travel tips