You are here

OIE History

Narrative of OIE's History

The Office of International Education (OIE) was established on the CU-Boulder campus in 1959 largely through the efforts of W. F. Dyde.  Dean (of Students) Dyde operated the Office on a part-time basis from 1959 to 1961. The mission of the Office at this time was to analyze the role of the University of Colorado in relation to the international scene and to advise faculty and students about international opportunities, to administer scholarships such as Fulbrights, to host visitors from abroad, to coordinate agreements between CU-Boulder and international universities, and to process U.S. government forms, questionnaires, surveys related to international exchange.  The first official, bilateral student mobility program appears to have been an exchange between the University of Colorado and the University of Erlangen in Germany that was inaugurated in 1954, even before OIE was established, and lasted until 2004. 

Initially, the Foreign Student Office was a separate office; part of the Office of Special Services and not part of the Office of International Education.  The first sizeable contingent of international students at CU-Boulder can be traced back to 1920. Approximately 25 students made up that group and this number remained fairly constant until after World War II. In 1946 the number of international students increased to 45, then to 103 in 1948, with additional increases each year so that in 1965, there are approximately 400 international students from 80 countries at the University.  Fred Chambers was appointed as the first foreign student advisor in 1947. The position was half-time until approximately 1952, when it became full-time.

In 1960, CU President Quigg Newton convened a Conference on the Responsibilities of the University of Colorado in International Education to decide how CU would become a key figure in this growing area of higher education.  Among the faculty invited were W.F. Dyde and Harold Amoss, director & future director of OIE; Henry Ehrmann, chair of what became the Study Abroad Committee; and George Lessor, international student advisor.

In 1961, Professor Harold Amoss took over the administration of the Office of Interna­tional Education on a full-time basis. The mission and functions remained the same as those under Dyde except for the addition of the administration of CU study abroad programs. Upon recommendation by Dean Dyde, a committee of the faculty was appointed by Acting Dean John Little of the College of Arts and Sciences in October 1959 'to develop and recommend plans which may be presented to the faculty of the College... for their consideration this year..., to enable and encourage our students to study abroad...'  In 1961, the Faculty of the College of Arts & Sciences approved the ‘Junior Year Abroad’ Program and CU began offering its own study abroad programs. The first such program began in 1963 at the University of Bordeaux in France. 

Clay Bridgford was appointed Acting Director of International Education in 1963. In 1964 Carl McGuire succeeded him as Acting Director. Then in September 1965, Dr. James L. Colwell became the first full-time Director of the Office of International Education. He remained in this position until December 1971.

In 1968, the responsibility for international student advising was shifted from the Office of Special Services (OSS) to OIE and in 1969, Eugene Smith was hired as the first full-time Director of International Student and Scholar Services.  (Peace Corps liaison responsibilities had been reassigned from the OSS to the OIE the year before.)  Also in 1968, the first full-time Director of Study Abroad, Ruth Purkaple, was hired.

In 1971, the Boulder campus Faculty Council passed a resolution "clarifying the University’s goals in the fields of international education."  The resolution charged OIE with the following responsibilities that continue to be in effect today:

  • Operating, maintaining, and developing Study Abroad Programs
  • Maintaining a central source of information and advising on the opportunities for educational work and travel abroad, including the programs of other educational institutions and agencies
  • Assisting and encouraging students and faculty who wish to participate in foreign educational or exchange programs
  • Representing the University by serving as host to students and faculty from abroad who are visiting the University, and by maintaining counseling, assistance, and logistical support programs for these foreign guests of the University
  • Serving as a catalyst and providing support to faculty and students who wish to develop programs in international education here or in cooperation with other institutions
  • Maintaining an inventory of the roles and programs in international education at the University of Colorado and coordinating such activities within the University
  • Cooperating with other institutions of higher education in Colorado and the region to make available to students and faculties programs and opportunities in international education on a reciprocal basis
  • Carrying on such others activities in support of international education as may be necessary

In 1974 R. Curtis Johnson was appointed as Dean of International Education.  In 1982, Jean Delaney was appointed Director of the Office of International Education.  She was succeeded by Michael Delaney in 2000.  Lawrence Bell is the current Director of the Office of International Education and has been in this position since 2003.

Historical Student Mobility Statistics at CU-Boulder

Year

International student population

International scholar population

Study abroad student participation

U.S. student Fulbright awardees

2013-2014

1879

 

1271

13

2012-2013

1643

702

1187

7

2011-2012

1492

854

1241

9

2010-2011

1373

698

1119

5

2009-2010

1248

677

1022

3

2008-2009

1229

657

1068

5

2007-2008

1135

635

982

5

2006-2007

1035

646

1010

8

2005-2006

968

618

1117

6

2004-2005

1086

631

1076

2

2003-2004

1082

473

953

4

2002-2003

1199

557

876

 

2001-2002

1108

582

854

4

2000-2001

1035

544

757

1

1999-2000

1052

525

715

3

1998-1999

1112

575

613

1

1997-1998

1092

414

598

5

1996-1997

1088

409

431

1

1995-1996

1090

404

458

4

1994-1995

1117

404

444

4

1993-1994

1091

470

368

7

1992-1993

1081

 

350

2

1991-1992

1006

 

322

6

1990-1991

988

 

282

1

1989-1990

910

 

284

1

1988-1989

938

 

304

5

1987-1988

898

 

277

1

1986-1987

808

 

267

5

1985-1986

728

 

260

5

1984-1985

650

 

262

3

1983-1984

616

 

257

4

1982-1983

606

 

251

1

1981-1982

631

 

 257

 

1980-1981

624

 

 281

3

1979-1980

579

 

242

2

1978-1979

548

 

 324

 

1977-1978

466

 

 321

2

1976-1977

396

 

428

 

1975-1976

424

 

334

 

1974-1975

412

 

 289

 

1973-1974

409

 

277

 

1972-1973

449

 

 203

 

1971-1972

445

 

 122

 

1970-1971

433

 

116

 

1969-1970

428

 

 107

 

1968-1969

446

 

 85

 

1967-1968

428

 

 46

 

1966-1967

425

 

68

 

1965-1966

431

 

 66

 

1964-1965

386

 

43

 

1963-1964

383

 

23

 

1962-1963

338

 

 

 

1961-1962

316

 

 

 

1960-1961

261

 

 

 

1959-1960

242

 

 

 

1958-1959

221

 

 

 

1957-1958

215

 

 

 

1956-1957

144

 

 

 

1955-1956

166

 

 

 

1954-1955

148

 

 

 

 

 International Scholar Graph