CBP Will No Longer Issue I-94 Cards

April 11, 2013

Attention International Students & Scholars:

Please be aware U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has announced that they will no longer be issuing I-94s when international visitors enter the United States.  This new process will begin on April 30, 2013.

Many of you arrived and have paper I-94s (the small white card usually stapled into your passport). Please be sure you turn in your current I-94 when you exit the U.S. Be aware you will not receive a new I-94 form upon your return if you are entering the US after April 30, 2013.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has automated Form I-94 at air and sea ports of entry. The paper form will no longer be provided to an international traveler upon arrival, except in limited circumstances. CBP will continue to stamp passports with a CBP admission stamp on their travel document. Please check and make sure that your passport has a stamp with “F1/DS” if you are an F1 student, or “J1/DS” if you are a J1 student. If you need a copy of your I-94 (record of admission) for verification of immigration status or employment authorization, it can be obtained from www.cbp.gov/I94 where a copy can be printed out.

Please note, a paper Form I-94 is still issued at the land border ports of entry.

For more information, please visit the CBP website at http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/i94_factsheet.ctt/i94_factsheet.pdf.