ODA Home >
Probation/Suspension in the Careers of the Freshman
Probation/Suspension in the Careers of the Freshman Cohort Entering in Fall 1998
Click here for the report on freshmen entering in fall 1997
Perry Sailor, ODA, January 2005
The study looked at all new freshmen entering in fall 1998 (n = 4,266), currently the most recent entering class to
have had 6 years to graduate. All information is through summer 2004, the end of their 6th year. Probation/suspension
status was determined by SIS codes for Arts and Sciences students. Other colleges did not consistently use SIS codes for
probation during the time period studied, so having a cumulative GPA of below 2.0 was used as a proxy for probation status
for those colleges. All colleges used SIS codes for suspension throughout.
An earlier study looked at the fall 1997 entering freshman cohort; overall, the findings
below are very similar to those of the earlier study. One exception is in the number who enrolled in B2; in the earlier
cohort, only about 22% of students suspended in the first year enrolled in B2 in at least one of the four terms following,
while in the current cohort, 41% did.
- How many students from this group were ever on probation? Suspended? Either? Both?
- Ever on probation only (not suspended) -- 12%
- Ever suspended only (not on probation) -- 1%
- Ever on probation AND suspended -- 11%
- Ever on probation (total) -- 23%
- Ever suspended (total) - 11%
- Either or both -- 23%
- Never either -- 77%
- Did the percentages ever on probation/suspended differ by college?
||Ever on probation but never suspended
||Either or both
- Of students ever on probation/suspension, how many were on probation/suspension at the end of their first
term? How many first went on probation/suspension in later terms?
- First term ended on probation for those ever on:
- End of 1st term: 68% (end of first fall)
- End of 2nd term: 13% (end of first spring)
- End of 4th term: 8% (end of second fall)
- End of 5th term: 3% (end of second spring)
- Later: 7%
- First relative term ended on suspension for those ever on:
- End of 1st term: 5% (end of first fall)
- End of 2nd term: 45% (end of first spring)
- End of 4th term: 17% (end of second fall)
- End of 5th term: 13% (end of second spring)
- End of 7th term: 6% (end of third fall)
- Later: 14%
- What percentage of students in the cohort graduated in 6 years? How did this differ for
students on probation, suspension, or neither?
- Overall 6-year graduation rate for all students in cohort -- 66%
- If ever on probation but never suspended -- 43% graduated in 6 years
- If ever suspended -- 25% graduated in 6 years
- If ever either on probation or suspended-- 34% graduated in 6 years
- If never either -- 77% graduated in 6 years
- If first term GPA < 1.0: 17% graduated in 6 years
- So students on probation, even if suspended, do graduate, but their 6-year graduation rate
rate was less than half that of students never put on probation or suspension.
- Did the 6-year grad rates for students ever on probation/suspended differ by college?
||Ever on probation but never suspended
||Overall grad rate
- How many students on probation/suspension returned to good academic standing (whether or not they graduated)?
- Of students ever suspended
- 25% graduated
- 27% did not graduate but left in good standing
- 49% did not return to good standing
- Of students ever on probation but never suspended
- 43% graduated
- 32% did not graduate but left in good standing
- 25% did not return to good standing
- For those who graduated, how did probation/suspension relate to time to graduation?
- Mean elapsed terms to graduation for grads (not necessarily enrolled terms):
- Ever on probation but never suspended: 12.9 (end of fifth fall)
- Ever suspended: 14.1 (Fifth spring-fifth summer)
- Never either: 12.1 (Fourth spring)
- How did being on probation/suspension at the end of the first term relate to retention rate to 2nd fall?
- Percent returning 2nd fall if on probation/suspension at end of 1st term:
- On suspension: 0%
- On probation: 47% enrolled the second fall
- Not prob/susp but GPA < 2.5: 83%
- GPA >= 2.5: 89%
- How many suspended students went to B2?
- Of 244 students on suspension at the end of the first fall or spring (spring '99):
- 67 in B2 following fall (fall 99)
- 49 in B2 spring 00
- 35 in B2 fall 00
- 30 in B2 spring 01
- Total 101 (41%) in B2 during at least one of four terms after spring 99.
- How did probation/suspension relate to academic qualification at entry (i.e., PGPA, the predicted CU
GPA, based on HS GPA and test scores)?:
- Mean universal PGPA
- Ever on probation only: 2.71
- Ever on suspension: 2.67
- Never either: 2.88
- Percent ever on probation/suspension by universal PGPA group:
- Low-2.59: 39%
- 2.60-2.79: 26%
- 2.80-3.09: 21%
- 3.10-High: 6%
PBA: L:\ir\consult\CADS\probationBrief98.doc - 1/26/05