With spring break quickly approaching, please take a moment to review some reminders.
Spring break starts on Saturday, March 23 and ends on Sunday, March 31. The residence halls will remain open and students may stay in their own room during the break period at no additional charge. Some residence hall services will be limited and dining halls will be closed during the break period. See the instructions below for specific information regarding those items.
Dining Halls Closing Schedule
On Friday, March 22
- Darley, Libby, Sewall Dining Centers are open through lunch (2 p.m.)
- C4C Dinning is the only facility open for dinner (until 8 p.m.)
- 2.1.3, Zeller’s and CU on the Run are open until 2 p.m.
- Village Market, Emporium, and The Bakery close at 2 p.m. The Bakery will be open Monday, March 25-Thursday, March 28, from 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
All dining centers will reopen for breakfast on Monday, April 1.
If you are leaving for the break:
- Close and lock windows. Residence life staff might be entering your room where a student has not signed up to stay during the break, and where a window is found to be left open. The staff will close the window to conserve energy and to help maintain safety and security.
- Pull drapes or close blinds.
- Unplug electrical appliances except for micro-fridges.
- Turn radiator thermostats to a lower setting (e.g. setting level 2) where applicable.
WilliamsVillage: individual room controls should be left with the fan on “low” and the temperature setting “high.”
- Pick items up off the floor in case an emergency repair is needed.
- Remove all small items of high value from the room.
- Turn out the lights.
- Lock the door and deadbolt the lock.
If you are staying during the break:
- Make sure to check in with your RA to let them know that you will be staying through break.
- Keep your room door and windows locked when the room is unoccupied and when you go to bed. Be sure to deadbolt your lock!
- Do not prop open outside entrance doors or security doors.
- Do not let anyone into the building unless the person is your guest. Be careful not to let persons you are not familiar with follow you into the building.
- Be alert for strangers in the building, and call the police (911) and your hall office if you are concerned or see anything suspicious.
- Residence hall staff members are “on duty” and their names will be posted in the usual manner. Contact the hall office if there are any questions.
- Beginning Friday, March 22, resident advisors will be asked to routinely lock any student room door that is found to be unlocked while the room is empty.
- Resident advisors will also be checking for open windows. While you are staying on campus, keep your window closed and locked as much as possible. Be sure to sign up to let the staff know you will be staying during the break. Open windows in rooms will be closed by the staff where someone has not signed up to stay for the break.
The Buff Bus will stop running on Friday, March 22 at midnight and resume on Saturday, March 30 at 10 a.m. with a normal schedule.
UMC is open during spring break
The UMC is open special hours during spring break. Go to the UMC homepage and Click on "More Hours" for the detailed dates and times.
University Offices - will be closed on Friday, March 29 for a university holiday.
For more information visit the Housing and Dining Services website.
- Ask a friend or neighbor to watch your property while you are away.
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Most intruders enter through unlocked doors and windows.
- Move expensive items like laptops away from windows where they may be visible.
- Do not post or leave messages that you and your roommates will be away from your house for the week.
- If you are staying, never tell someone you are home alone.
- It's also important to find someone willing to clear snow off your property. Snow must be removed within 24 hours of a snow fall.
- Ask a friend to collect your mail and pick up newspapers and/or any trash in your yard.
- Don’t leave pets by themselves. Find someone to take care of them while you are away.
Have a safe break!