By the CU-Boulder Police Department
The CU-Boulder Police Department is giving away free bike U-locks. Bike theft continues to be the No. 1 crime on campus, and we need your help to deter thieves. Don’t become a target.
- Register your bicycle online for free at http://www.colorado.edu/pts/content/register-your-bike-online-free. (After logging in, click on "Manage Your Vehicles: Add Bicycle.") You’ll get a registration sticker for your frame, and your bike’s serial number will be recorded. If it’s stolen and later located anywhere in the United States, you’ll have a better chance of it being returned to you.
- Use a high-quality U-lock. They are more difficult to defeat than cable locks.
We’d like to help you get prepared. This week, we will be awarding 10 Kryptonite U-locks. Here’s how to win:
- Follow us on the CU-Boulder Police social media pages, where we offer crime alerts, crime prevention tips and other safety information you should know. During this month’s flood, we posted hundreds of tweets with emergency information.
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/CUBoulderPolice. "Like" us on this page and leave a comment on our U-lock giveaway post and say why bike safety is important to you.
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/CUBoulderPolice. Follow us and send a tweet with @CUBoulderPolice in the message and say why bike safety is important to you.
- You must be a current CU-Boulder student and not a previous winner in past U-lock giveaways. The contest ends at 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26. We’ll contact the winners and hand out the prizes. We’ll pick five winners from both Facebook and Twitter.
Good luck and stay safe! For more bike safety tips, see http://bit.ly/CUBikeSafety.