(Attention non-degree students: CEU credits are also available for Teacher License Renewal; scroll down for additional information)
Summer MME Degree Overview
We believe that each student approaches graduate study with unique and personal goals. The Summer Master of Music Education (M.M.E.) degree at the University of Colorado is designed to address a variety of interests, needs, and areas of expertise for K-12 teachers. Students working toward an M.M.E. degree complete 12 hours of study in music education, 12 hours of study in music and 6 hours of open electives (can include study in any area in or outside of music).
Advisors work with you to design flexible degree plans that will allow you to select a combination of coursework and independent study options intended to support focused areas of music study in ensemble conducting (choral and instrumental), musicology, or technology. Additional music education electives address pedagogical practices, curriculum, and assessment in K-12 grade level or group music teaching assignments (K-8 General Music, Middle/High School Music Electives).
Please click here for our Summer 2014 flyer (includes degree plan descriptions, current costs, application deadlines, and a list of courses).
We will be updating this site with information on financial aid, summer registration, housing, parking, and orientation. Please check back for updates. We look forward to working with you!
Summer MME Admission Requirements
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0* and BME degree or equivalent
- Experience teaching music in K-12 schools (minimum 2-3 years preferred)
- Completion of the application process, including submission of all required materials.
*Note: Applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 must submit a GRE scores to be considered for admission.
Thank you for your interest in applying to the CU Summer MME Degree. If you have any application or program questions, please contact us at: SummerMME@colorado.edu
STEP 1 - Review Summer MME Degree Overview (see pg. 2, pdf flyer), and other materials on the Summer MME webpage.
STEP 2 - Complete your online application
You will be prompted to submit several items* including:
(1) your personal information
(2) written essays: a personal statement (professional goals statement), and your critical issues essay upload as ONE document—see the instructions at the link below for detailed instructions on the goals statement and issues essay:
(3) email contacts for four (4) letters of recommendation from individuals who know the quality of your work. Detailed letters that address specific accomplishments, strengths and weaknesses, work habits, and other relevant personal qualities are helpful for the review committee. When soliciting these letters, choose four peope who can address different aspects of your educational background. It is often helpful to provide each reference with a copy of your resume and a short list that suggests qualities and accomplishments that could be addressed by the letter. We ask that you submit at least one (1) letter of recommendation from an academic faculty member (music education preferred). In terms of process, the system will generate a direct email request to your contacts. To expedite review of your file, we suggest you contact individuals writing on your behald as soon as you have completed the online process so that they can be ready for the request.
*See FAQ page for itemized list: http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/graduate/apply/faq
NOTE – No audition or interview is required for the Summer MME Degree. Based on the content of your application, we may contact you for a follow-up interview, but many applicants are admitted based on the strength of their background and materials.
STEP 3 - Submit supplemental admission materials
The following information must be mailed to the Admissions Office at the address listed below:
- One (1) original set of transcripts from EVERY institution attended after high school (including originals from any school from which credits were transferred)
- Letters of recommendations if recommender is unable to submit online. You are responsible to contact the individuals writing for you to verify they have submitted their letters. We cannot process your application until your file is complete.
For CEU registration information contact SummerMME@colorado.edu and include CEU Credits in the heading of the email. You have 2 options in this program.
1) You can register for graduate credits as a non-degree student at the current tuition rate of $620 per credit. These credits can be applied toward a future graduate degree, and will be documented by university transcript.
2) You can register for courses marked with an *(see Summer 2014 flyer, pg. 2), at the rate of $175 per credit of 1.5 CEU units. The office of Continuing Education will issue a certificate upon completion of the course.
Information on scholarships for non-degree students registering for graduate credit can be found at http://conted.colorado.edu/student-resources/financial-aid/ (note – the deadline for applications is typically late in May, or early in June; funding is based on a competitive essay application process).