CU Boulder’s College of Music welcomes applications for a part-time Opera Production Assistant. This position assists with academic-year productions, the summer opera program and student outreach activities. The Production Assistant will coordinate and manage many aspects of the Eklund Opera program’s professional-level performing arts productions for the College of Music. Organizational, interpersonal and communication skills will be required to develop, implement and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of program aspects, including administrative support of the director’s marketing, publicity and development efforts.
We are looking for an engaged, highly motivated and excited employee who brings their all to work every day and who wants to work with great people in the performing arts. A passion for leadership as well as service, a passion for curiosity in learning new things and for seeing projects take shape and guiding those projects through to completion are important to this role. It is essential that the incumbent is able to work collaboratively and demonstrates compassion for students, colleagues and the many people that collaborate in opera.
- Works with directors (music, stage, technical) and stage management to coordinate various scheduling needs
- Coordinate and run opera auditions
- Attend production meetings, including taking and publishing production meeting notes
- Works with finance to pay guest artists and obtain suitable housing
- Provide working scores for stage management and directors
- File weapons paperwork for performances with CU Police
- Attend all performances through intermissions, including arriving early to check with stage management, house management and box office for issues and to greet donors and provide support for the Opera Club
- Supervise graduate TAs and other student and contract employees to ensure satisfactory completion of duties
Communications and Outreach
- Works with marketing and publicity to drive deadlines and obtain information for programs and other publicity materials
- Maintain internal online communication tool and train contracted stage managers on using the tool
- Post outreach events to online file
- Coordinate and organize gala and outreach events
What you should know
This is a 60% part-time appointment and will require working occasional evenings and weekends.
What we require
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated relevant professional experience in production management or closely related activities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and basic web editing
What you will need
- Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated proficiency in prioritizing work assignments
- Ability to collaborate as well as the ability to energize and motivate others including students, student workers, colleagues and vendors
- Understanding of and ability to support the complex challenges and goals of our students
- Ability to handle multiple, complex assignments and work independently
- Excels at active listening
- Proactive in problem solving and seeking out new resources and learning opportunities to accomplish tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work well with faculty, staff, students and external vendors
What we’d like you to have
- Experience working at the University of Colorado
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts Administration, Opera, Theatre, Musical Theatre or other related field
- Specific knowledge of opera, theater or classical music
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
The anticipated salary for this position is $30,000. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass.
Please submit the following online by July 14, 2017.
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Note: Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10149. Please do not upload references at this time.