Schedule of User Fees
The University of Colorado's Mountain Research Station must generate a large proportion of its funding from externally-generated revenue such as fees charged to researchers and students using the Station. This Schedule summarizes those fees and their uses. Please use these fees as a guide to station costs when preparing grant proposals which will use the MRS.
I. Research-Related Fees:
Station Use Fee
This fee is charged for all researchers who work at the Mountain Research Station. It helps support the cost of providing services such as telephones, mail, utilities, and other forms of administrative support.
Cost for non-resident researchers: $2/day
Cost for visiting guest $10/day
Office or Laboratory rental fees.
These fees help pay for the cost of maintenance of the buildings, and office and research equipment in them.
|Marr Laboratory Office||$60/week||$40/week|
|Research laboratory in Marr Laboratory||$75/week||$45/week|
Summer Season: 1 May to 30 September.
Off-season: 1 October to 30 April.
Note that each office has 2 desks. Researchers may share space in one of these offices or labs, and split the cost.
Meeting Room Rentals
|Seminar room in Marr Lab||$65|
Equipment or data that can be provided on a fee-for-service basis include:
1) Vehicle rental and servicing, including vans, snowmobiles, tracked vehicle, ATVs. (see schedule below)
2) Construction of specialized research equipment.
3) Data collection.
4) Data from the MRS climate program.
5) Lab and office equipment: $50 deposit per unit, repair or replacement costs + 25% in case of damage or loss.
II. Dining Hall Charges
Room and board rates are included below, and can also be purchased separately at the following rates:
All Meals: $25 per day
Reservations for meals should be made at least 24 hours in advance of the meal; a surcharge of $1 is added for meals if no advance reservation is made. Children 6 through 11 are half-price; no charge for children five or under. Individual meals should be paid for at the door.
III. Housing Charges
A 20-meal plan (excluding Friday dinner) with lodging is available for $185/week for students (including student researchers). Senior personnel can receive the same weekly room and board plan for $200. All groups participating in non-MRS run activities are charged $36.50 per day for room and board. Housing is also available in cabins with cooking facilities.
Housing in winterized cooking cabins:
|Absaroka (1 room, no plumbing)||$250||$23||$115|
|Aspen (1 BR, cold water)||$360||$27||$135|
|Columbine (2 BR, plumbing)||$400||$35||$175|
|Jay (1 room, no plumbing)||$250||$23||$115|
|Limber (2 BR, shared plumbing)||$325||$26||$130|
|Lodgepole (2 BR, plumbing)||$600||$40||$200|
|Mertensia (2 BR, cold water)||$400||$35||$175|
|Nutcracker (1 room, no plumbing)||$250||$23||$115|
|Ponderosa (2 BR, plumbing)||$600||$40||$200|
|Robin (1 room, no plumbing)||$250||$23||$115|
|Willow (1 room, loft, cold water)||$310||$25||$125|
|Wind River (1 room, no plumbing)||$250||$23||$115|
Non-cooking, non-winterized cabins, no meals:
|Niwot Ridge Shelters||...||$6||...|
|Alpine Tundra Lab||...||$10|
Moores-Collins Family Lodge:
The Moores-Collins Family Lodge is available year-round. The Lodge has 8 sleeping rooms, a meeting room, kitchen and restrooms w/ showers (overnight capacity 32):
Lodge rental is $420/ night. Daytime rental is $195.
* CU groups must pay using speed type or IN
- A $50 non-refundable administrative deposit is required to reserve the Lodge for all groups
- Lodge check in time 11:30 am to 3:30 pm; check out is 2 pm
1. All cabin reservations must be accompanied by a $100 deposit (or 50% of total cost if less than $100). In case of cancellations, deposits are returned, minus a non-refundable $25 cancellation fee.
2. Daily rates apply to rentals of six days or less; daily rates include utilities.
3. Weekly rates apply to rentals of 7-14 days duration. The rate will be prorated to the total number of days and will include utilities.
4. Monthly rates are prorated for rentals over two weeks. Total cost will be the monthly rate plus utilities (weekly rates include utilities).
5. A cleaning and damage deposit equal to one month's rent must be paid before occupancy for any rental exceeding three months.
IV. Miscellaneous Fees
Photocopies: $0.10 each, + $10/hr if Station personnel do the copying
Showers (for non-residents): $2 each
V. Transportation/Vehicle Fees
Shuttle Service to/from Boulder: please call for schedule and price information
|Vehicle||Full Day||Half Day||Hour|
9-passenger carry-all, 4WD
+ 65 cents/mile
|Thiokol (tracked snow vehicle)||$600||$300||-|
1) 48 hours advance reservations required
2) Add $25/hour for Station driver
3) Gasoline and oil are included in rental costs
4) Add $20/hour for labor costs plus parts for damages
5) Thiokol rental includes driver time
Climate change may have profound effects on mountain forests and alpine tundra, and the benefits they provide to surrounding communities such as water, recreation, and forage. Warming of 2-5 °C is expected in the Rocky Mountains over the next 50 years.
Since 2009, a warming experiment run on Niwot Ridge by the University of California, Merced has been experimentally determining what...