Undergraduate Curriculum Learning Objectives
MCEN 4047 - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory
1. Translate Engineering Problems to Experimental Programs
- Practice solving engineering problems by identifying, defining and executing an experimental plan, subject to time and resource constraints.
2. Apply Engineering and Physical Principles
- Draw upon engineering and physical principles from various mechanical engineering topics to arrive at a basic physical understanding of the specific problem at hand.
- Refine library and literature research skills to uncover additional necessary background information.
- Apply basic principles of experimental design
3. Experimental Procedures and Analysis of Results
- Learn, and observe, proper laboratory safety procedures.
- Carry out an experiment according to established procedures.
- Maintain proper laboratory records.
- Learn, and apply, basic principles of error analysis.
- Practice critical thinking skills when analyzing and interpreting experimental results.
4. Develop Professional and Management Skills
- Develop skills for working in a team environment.
- Develop time management skills by scheduling and executing different phases of an experiment, often in coordination with other groups sharing the equipment.
- Hone presentation skills through group oral presentations, poster sessions, written laboratory reports and written executive summaries.