- Post-Doc, Vascular Tissue Mechanics, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Nebraska, 2006
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Nebraska, 2001
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Education Award, 2011-2012
- University of Colorado Outstanding Graduate Student Mentor Faculty Award, 2011-2012
- Colorado Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CCTSI) Junior Faculty Pilot Award, 2011
- University of Colorado at Boulder New Inventor of the Year, 2009
- BMW Group International Passion for Innovation Scientific Award Finalist, 2007
- Outstanding Graduate Research Assistant Award for University-wide best research with regard to originality, imagination, and significance to the field, 2006
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, 2001-2004
- Tau Beta Pi Centennial Graduate Fellowship, 2001
- Medical Mechatronics and Surgical Robotics Design
- Tissue Mechanics Characterization
- Tissue-Device Interaction Modeling
My research interests broadly include biomechanics, medical device design, and surgical robotics. In the area of biomechanics, my interests include tissue mechanical property characterization and modeling tissue-device interactions. In particular, efforts focus on tissue-device contact for in vivo robotic mobility. Medical device design research interests include surgical robotic-assist devices, surgical tools, and non-invasive sensory measurement devices.
- Terry, B.S., Passernig, A.C., Hill, M., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "Small Intestine Mucosal Adhesivity to In vivo Capsule Robot Materials," Journal of Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 15: 24-32, 2012.
- Sliker, L.J., Rentschler, M.E., "The Design and Characterization of a Testing Platform for Quantitative Evaluation of Tread Performance on Multiple Biological Substrates," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 59(9): 2524-2530, 2012.
- Sliker, L., Kern, M., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "Surgical Evaluation of a Novel Tethered Robotic Capsule Endoscope using Micro-Patterned Treads," Journal of Surgical Endoscopy. 26(10): 2862-2869, 2012.
- Terry, B.S., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "Characterization and Experimental Results of a Novel Sensor for Measuring the Contact Force from Myenteric Contractions," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 59(7): 1971-1977, 2012.
- Terry, B.S., Lyle, A., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "Preliminary Mechanical Characterization of the Small Bowel for In vivo Robotic Mobility," ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 133(9): 091010-1-091010-7, 2011.
- Rentschler, M., Reid, J., "The Development of a Material Model and Wheel-Tissue Interaction for Simulating Wheeled Surgical Robot Mobility," Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. 12(2): 239-248, 2009.
- Rentschler, M., Iagnemma, K., Farritor, S., "Mechanical Design of Robotic In vivo Wheeled Mobility," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 129(10): 1037-1045, 2007.
- Rentschler, M., Dumpert, J., Platt, S., Iagnemma, K., Oleynikov, D., Farritor, S., "Modeling, Analysis, and Experimental Study of In vivo Wheeled Robotic Mobility," IEEE Transactions on Robotics. 22(2): 308-321, 2006.
- U.S. Patent No: 8,343,171; Issued January 1, 2013, “Methods and Systems of Actuation In Robotic Devices”
- U.S. Patent No: 8,179,073; Issued May 15, 2012, "Robotic Devices with Agent Delivery Components and Related Methods"
- European Patent No: 2,397,101; Issued March 3, 2012, "Magnetically Coupleable Robotic Devices and Related Methods"
- U.S. Patent No: 7,960,935; Issued June 14, 2011, "Robotic Devices with Agent Delivery Components and Related Methods"
- U.S. Patent No: 7,772,796; Issued August 10, 2010, "Robotic Devices with Agent Delivery Components and Related Methods"
- U.S. Patent No: 7,372,229; Issued May 13, 2008, "Robot for Surgical Applications"
- U.S. Patent No: 7,339,341; Issued March 4, 2008, "Surgical Camera Robot"
- U.S. Patent No: 7,126,303; Issued October 24, 2006, "Robot for Surgical Applications"