Motion Detection Equipment
Motion detection equipment will provide flow visualization and high speed motion capture.
Fluid Flow Visualization equipment and techniques
- Stereo Particle Image Velocimetry system (TSI Powerview), with 120 mJ dual head Nd:YAG pulsed laser. Imaged field of view width can range from 1.5 m to 200 Ám (using Leica stereomicroscope, maintaining quantitative flow field measurement).
- Dantec MiniCTA hot wire anemometer.
- Color schlieren system, ~18 inch diameter, includes EG&G strobe. Also (2) 4.5 inch diameter schlieren mirror pairs.
- Additional equipment for air visualization: assortment of stage and water fog generators. Smoke wire apparatus.
- Additional equipment for liquid flow visualization: Hydrogen bubble apparatus. Manual and automatic dye injection systems.
- Assorted film and digital cameras.
- Planar Jet Facility: 2.5 mm X 400 mm low speed ( < 10 m/s) jet apparatus.
- Wind Tunnel: Aerolab High Speed open circuit tunnel, 12 inch X 12 inch cross section, 145 mph. Suitable for oil streak and fog stream visualization.
- Laboratory with ventilation suitable for small combustion experiments.
- Acoustic excitation systems.
- Armfield open channel flume, 2.5m x 76mm x 250mm channel bed.
- Small liquid flow facilities: 50 gallon fish tank, 2 10 gallon fish tanks, Stokes Reversible Flow Demonstration apparatus.
- Hele Shaw cell.
- Soap film tunnel, 0.5 m X 0.75 m.
High speed Olympus Camera
Olympus i-SPEED is an invaluable tool for general research and development requirements, with recording rates of up to 32,000 fps and instant playback & analysis via the CDU.
Contact: Lab Coordinator: Greg.Potts@colorado.edu