Sewall is considered by many to be Charles Klauder’s most beautiful building. It features an imposing curved entrance with columns, a large central courtyard, and several balconies. The intricate variation of roof levels, punctuated by decorative dovecote chimneys, echoes the forms of the mountains and the Flatirons.
Sewall, named in honor of CU’s first president, Joseph Sewall (1830–1917), was the first large residential facility for women. A small courtyard to the south, highlighted by a fountain with a pair of lions, was dedicated in 1990 to Bly Ewalt Curtis (1898–1990), executive director of housing for over 30 years and a prominent community leader.
In 2007, the dining facilities—virtually unchanged since they were built—were renovated. Architectural details were lovingly restored, including the coffered ceilings and parquet floors. The former kitchen area was converted to feature self-serve stations for different types of food.