This tour winds along scenic off-street paved trails, circling clockwise around the CU Main Campus, East Campus, and Williams Village. This makes an enjoyable six-and-a-half-mile bicycle ride.
The northwest corner of the Main Campus is the Norlin Quadrangle Historic District, listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. In this tour, all buildings are in the historic district except #15 and #17 through #21 (see map).
Colorado became a state in 1876. Its constitution provided for a university to be located in Boulder. Old Main, the first campus building, opened to students in September 1877. The campus grew and 15 new buildings were erected in the next 40 years. In 1917, Philadelphia architect Charles Klauder prepared a master plan for the university and created the distinctive Tuscan Vernacular style for which the campus is famous. Klauder designed all new buildings on campus until his death in 1938. This tour focuses on both the early years and the Klauder buildings.
Information for this this tour was provided by William Arndt and by Historic Boulder, Inc., 1123 Spruce St., Boulder, CO 80302, 303-444-5192. To find out about walking tours of other historic interest sites in Boulder, please contact them.