I am a doctoral candidate in Strategic, Organizational, and Entrepreneurial Studies at the University of Colorado.
Please contact me if your school has an opening, or if you may have interest in research collaboration.
The following offer a high-level overview of key points on my research, teaching, and formation.
- Academic researcher with manuscripts under review at top journals, extensive refereed conference papers, best paper awards, and developing research stream;
- Instructor with teaching recognitions, solid teaching evaluations, and diverse teaching experience;
- 8 years prior industry work experience (in high-growth start-ups, at established firms, and as entrepreneur).
I present refereed research at leading conferences including the Academy of Management (AOM), Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Strategic Management Society (SMS), and smaller international venues. Of 10 such papers, I have been the sole or lead author on 6 – and the second and only co-author on 4.
I have won research awards including:
- Best Doctoral Student Paper – Research Methods Division / Sage Publications, 2012 Academy of Management Conference.
- Best PhD Paper – Strategic Management Society, 2012 Annual Conference.
- Research-Citizen Award – Management & Entrepreneurship Department, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado, 2011. Awarded to one student based on: “serving as a role model of an individual committed to research combined with sharing his/her time and expertise to help the other doctoral students excel in their own research.”
- Research fellowships.
I have work published in the Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research and manuscripts under-review or revision at top peer-review journals.
I have received various teaching recognitions including:
- Outstanding Teaching Award for Doctoral Student Teaching runner-up, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado, 2012.
- Frascona Teacher Excellence Award nomination, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado, 2012.
- Lead Graduate Teacher for Business School: 2010-2011 & 2011-2012.
- The Best Should Teach Silver Award, University of Colorado: 2010 & 2011.
I have taught, and received positive evaluations for:
- 4 semester courses as the instructor of record (up to 50 students/class),
- 3 sessions at MBA & Executive-MBA levels,
- 17 short-courses for community and continuing-education (including accredited Engineering Professional Development courses).
The subject matter taught was entrepreneurship, and corporate entrepreneurship/innovation within a strategy & technology course. I would be comfortable to teach other subjects including OB, OT, and Strategy.
Honors undergraduate in Psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison; concurrent completion of a certificate (minor) in Business including 17 credits in MBA classes.
Honors undergraduate thesis under Professor Peter Dickson, Chair of Marketing Research.
Placed in campus-wide technology business plan competitions (with >$20,000 in prizes).
Completed a study-abroad program in Madrid, Spain. There I took classes in Spanish from U. Compultense faculty, lived with locals, and integrated into another culture.
Entrepreneurial start-ups, involving:
- Renewable energy (acquired for $98M),
- Multimedia technology product,
Business and engineering consulting firm:
- Prepared published research reports under competitively awarded research contracts (e.g. for Electric Power Research Institute, Cooperative Research Network, & others).
- Prepared published conference papers (e.g. IEEE), industry white papers, and articles related to electric utility industry, technology, and business operations.
- Business development, and executive support for Vice-President & Secretary of the Board.
International perspective has been enriched by:
- living and extensive personal travel abroad (e.g. from Europe, to backpacking Latin America and Turkey, driving across Morocco, motorcycling in India, hiking in China),
- speaking Spanish (fluent), Portuguese & Italian (conversational), French (très mal), and English (native).