Westlaw and LexisNexis Research Systems
Faculty Services Contacts
Assistant Director for Faculty Services
8:30am - 5:00pm
8:00am - 4:30pm
The Wise Law Library subscribes annually to both Westlaw and LexisNexis legal research systems. Our academic law school licenses provide access to most, but not all, content on these systems.
For information about Westlaw TWEN and LexisNexis web course management systems, see Web Courses on the faculty services page: http://www.colorado.edu/law/lawlib/library_services/law_school_faculty/.
Obtaining Passwords and Activation Codes
- Full-time and part-time law faculty, staff, and students are eligible for personal passwords on Westlaw and LexisNexis.
- Adjunct and visiting law faculty are also eligible for personal passwords if they are currently teaching courses in the law school curriculum. Visiting scholars who are invited by the law school to conduct research on-site may be eligible for passwords.
- UC-Boulder faculty, staff, and students are not eligible for Westlaw and LexisNexis passwords under the terms of the law library’s licenses.
- Non-law students who are currently enrolled in law school courses using TWEN or LexisNexis course web systems may obtain temporary passwords at the library reference desk during hours of operation.
Law faculty and staff may request a password from Jane Thompson, Assistant Director for Faculty Services, at email@example.com.
Law students receive passwords during first-year orientation, but they may contact Alan Pannell, Head of Reference, at firstname.lastname@example.org if there is a problem with their passwords.
Registering Passwords and Activation Codes
Westlaw passwords and LexisNexis activation codes may be deactivated by the vendors if they are not registered online within 30 days of issuance.
- Westlaw: Register online at http://lawschool.westlaw.com (link for "register password now"). You will be required to enter your Westlaw ID and create a custom username and password, although you may continue to use your Westlaw ID to sign on to Westlaw.
- LexisNexis: Register online at http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool (link for "Faculty - Register Your Activation Code"). You will be required to enter your LexisNexis activation code and create a custom ID and password, which replaces the activation code.
Law School Research
Westlaw for Law Schools is accessible online at: http://lawschool.westlaw.com. Sign on and click on the Research Tab. User guides are available online at: http://west.thomson.com/support/user-guide/westlaw/law-school.aspx.
LexisNexis for Law Schools is accessible online at: http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool. Sign on and click on Research. User guides are available under the “Electronic Reference Literature” link.
Law faculty and staff may contact Jane Thompson, Assistant Director for Faculty Services, at email@example.com at any time to request a training session on Westlaw or LexisNexis, which may be conducted by Jane or a vendor representative. Faculty/staff luncheon updates on Westlaw/TWEN and LexisNexis are scheduled once or twice a year. Training sessions for faculty research assistants are held in May. Online tutorials are available on both systems.