Corporate Counsel Intensive Institute
Accelerate Your In-House Career
To succeed and thrive in a corporate environment attorneys require a much broader skill set than ever before. General Counsel hire attorneys who graduated at the top of their class and were star performers at law firms, but know that success depends on much more. Successful in-house attorneys must be quick, agile, adaptable, and self-aware. Contrary to every other form of legal practice, in-house attorneys must become adept at embracing risk and fully participating in and owning the decision making process with business teams. It is an incredibly rewarding and diverse practice, but without the right skills, mentor, or transition program, it can be a very uncomfortable and difficult transition even for the most talented attorneys.
Colorado Law has developed, in close collaboration with several of the most dynamic and progressive General Counsel, an intensive one-week course, Corporate Counsel Intensive Institute (CCII), to immerse prospective or new in-house counsel in the best practices for the in-house environment. CCII improves success rates and increases long-term retention rates for attorneys transitioning in-house. Through this one-week program participants will:
- Work directly with and learn from seven Fortune 500 General Counsel
- Increase strategic thinking abilities
- Analyze the practice of law in the corporate environment
- Advance proactive approaches
- Learn how to effectively embrace risk
- Practice practical business focused decision making
- Gain confidence delivering advice in difficult, high stakes situations
Monday - Friday, January 5 - 9, 2015
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
University of Colorado Law School
Wolf Law Building
Monday, January 5, 2015
A Strategic and Proactive Legal Function
Kim Rivera, Chief Legal Officer and Secretary, DaVita Inc.
Laura Stein, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, The Clorox Company
- Roles of the in-house lawyer,
- Interacting with the CEO, senior management and the board,
- The need to understand business and the company’s business,
- How to use of legal as a strategic asset for the company and the value added,
- Who you represent and conflict of interest,
- Challenging internal investigations, and
- Proactive crisis management.
Reception at St. Julien Hotel, sponsored by MassMutual
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Leadership in the 21st Century
Randy Milch, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Verizon Communications Inc.
- The roles of leadership, followership, individual contributor and supervisor,
- Establishing the department culture,
- How in-house counsel assembles, directs and leads the high performing teams,
- The appropriate mix of internal and external resources, and the use of non-lawyer professionals, and
- The value of diversity within a team.
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Efficiently Managing the Legal Needs of an Organization
Mark Chandler, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Cisco Systems Inc.
- How you lead and operate within an in-house legal function,
- Legal budgeting and cost of in-hose verses external resources,
- Where and how to perform different legal services,
- Unbundling legal resources,
- Setting objectives and measuring and reporting against those objectives,
- Litigation communication and management,
- How to effectively communicate legal issues with clients, and
- How you manage external resources and how to leverage the traditional law firm model to the benefit of the enterprise.
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Skills, Attributes and Opportunities for In-House Legal
Susan Blount, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Prudential Financial Inc.
- The skills a student or a lawyer should obtain to be an effective in-house attorney and how to obtain such skills,
- The likely substantive areas of legal growth and evolving nature of the legal practice from an in-house perspective,
- The benefits and detriments of in-house practice,
- The role of the in-house lawyer in the company’s controls/culture, i.e., interrelationships with
- ERM (enterprise risk management), internal audit, compliance and finance, and
- How you best position yourself for an in-house opportunity.
Friday, January 9, 2015
Final Exam and Closing Lecture on the Future of Law – How to Shape It and Lead It
Fiona Arnold, former, Executive Vice President and General Counsel Vail Resorts Inc.
Mark Roellig, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, MassMutual Financial Group
CLE Credits are available for this course.