Campus IT Roles and Responsibilities Inventory
A significant gap exists in the understanding of the breadth and depth of campus IT service, support and expertise currently provided by different organizations on campus. This gap in understanding means incorrect assumptions could be (and most likely are) made about departmental expertise and communication needs.
The Associate Vice Chancellor of IT should commission a periodic inventory of campus organizations that maintain IT structures (including ITS) to guide campus IT strategic planning and leverage IT expertise on our campus. This inventory should be used to help the sharing of IT expertise between departments. Specifically, the inventory should identify the following:
- People performing IT activities on campus and the organizational requirement they fulfill. This includes all roles from the IT professional responsible for system administration of hardware, software and security to the administrative assistant with no technical expertise who was elected to update the department website
- Assets (hardware/software) managed within campus organizations (outside of ITS) and the requirements they fulfill
- Services which organizations provide using internal resources
- Services which organizations rely on ITS to provide and maintain as either a common-good or purchased service
- Services which organizations rely on other campus organizations to provide and maintain
- Services which organizations purchase from outside vendors.
- For more specifics and examples on the inventory collection, please see Appendix A.