Facilitating Cloud Computing
How can we embrace cloud computing and effectively enhance the academic, research, and service missions of the university by providing guidance and services while minimizing costs and risks?
The adoption strategy for the campus should be a phased approach:
- Build Expertise
- Identify possible IT applications that are candidates to migrate to the cloud and prioritize
- Set clear adoption principles that include checking for alignment with campus goals
- Migrate some applications and evaluate
- Continually monitor the legal situation and rapidly changing case law
- Need to set up a group to discuss and develop strategies.
- Look at if the tools can be shown to actually help the units function, e.g. Does Doodle have demonstrable advantages over a central calendaring tool? Does Voicethread increase student learning?
- Develop a metric representing the ratio of campus standards based cloud computing to un-vetted services.
- Monitor number of users of key cloud services and develop measures of the adoption rate of centralized services and the level of satisfaction of downstream data users and data owners.