About Integrating STEM Education at CU Boulder
Integrating STEM Education: Towards an Institute
A Signature Program of the University of Colorado Boulder
Integrating STEM Education at Colorado (iSTEM) brings together existing efforts and supports new efforts in STEM Education. ISTEM is:
• Building the STEM education research community at CU
• Increasing the number and quality of K16 STEM teachers
• Transforming STEM Education at CU Boulder
The vision of iSTEM is to establish CU Boulder as a national hub of STEM education through an institute or center for STEM education.
Integrating STEM Education integrates over 45 programs in STEM education representing over $15 million in grants at CU Boulder. Many of these programs are nationally recognized and replicated.
• President Obama cites programs like CU Teach as national models for teacher preparation to address the challenges in teacher and workforce preparation.
• Because CU is a national leader in teacher recruitment and preparation, CU hosted the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) Science and Math Teacher Imperative’s inaugural conference.
• iSTEM Contributes to Statewide Initiatives, including revision of the state standards in mathematics and science, and played a leading role in Colorado’s Race to the Top/ ARRA application.
At the programmatic level, iSTEM is leveraging and strengthening these programs and efforts by building community through bi-annual symposia and the weekly DBER Seminar Series. At the individual and departmental level, iSTEM provides funding for faculty and graduate students to support an interest and seed new efforts in STEM education through the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in STEM Education.