Frequently Asked Questions

Urgent/Need to Know

  • How do I add/drop/withdraw from a class?
    You can accomplish any schedule changes through the student tab on your MyCUInfo account.  Important dates and deadlines can be found on the registrar's website (
  • How do I add/change/drop a major or minor?
    Each department on campus handles this a bit differently. In general, students interested in adding or changing majors need to attend a prospective major meeting, either in person or online, and complete the appropriate paperwork. A complete list of majors and minors offered by the College of Arts and Sciences and information on how to declare each is available under "Continuing Students" on the Academic Advising Center website

Core & Major Requirements

  • How do I know what core or major courses I still need to take?
    All students have access to the Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) 24 hours a day. The degree audit is an invaluable tool to see how courses apply toward requirements and what still needs to be completed. If you are interested in possibly changing majors, you can also run an audit for that major to see how your classes could be applied. You can access your degree audit through the student tab on your MyCUInfo account. Contact your advisor with any questions.
  • Which classes do I need to take for my major?
    You can access your degree audit through the student tab on your MyCUInfo account and it outlines all met and remaining requirements.  The Integrative Physiology Department also has valuable information and clearly outlines major requirements on its website at This is a useful resource for major requirements, internship and research opportunities as well as important departmental news.  Your advisor is also an important resource in clarifying requirements and assisting you through your academic career at CU.
  • What if I don't have the background to go directly into the science courses required for the major?
    For some students with little or no high school chemistry or physics or pre-calculus, or for those students who have been out of school for some time, it may be worth your while to take a preparatory course.
    • To prepare for Calculus 1:
      Algebra: MATH 1001-3 or MATH 1011-3 plus Trigonometry: MATH 1021-2
      Precalculus: MATH 1150-4 (includes both college algebra and trigonometry)
    • To prepare for CHEM 1113/1114-5: take CHEM 1021-4.
    • To prepare for Physics 1: take PHYS 1000-3.
    When in doubt, see your advisor!
  • How many IPHY electives do I need?
    You need 30 IPHY credit hours of C- or better to complete the major. The number of elective credits you need will vary based upon what 3 IPHY core courses you choose to take. Also, if you take your statistics class outside the department, you may need additional IPHY elective hours.

Overlapping Requirements

  • What ancillary courses outside the major also count for College Core Areas?
    Any course that fulfills our calculus requirement (MATH 1300-5, 1310-5 or APPM 1350-4) will fulfill the College requirement in quantitative reasoning.  Integrative Physiology majors are exempt from the natural sciences Core requirement because of the biology, chemistry and physics required in the major.
  • What IPHY courses can be taken through other departments?
    Statistics (IPHY 2800) can be met with PSYC 3101, MATH 2510, and MATH 2830 (UCD).
  • Do some IPHY elective courses count both toward IPHY elective credit and for College Core areas?
    Yes. IPHY 1950-3 (Introduction to Scientific Writing in Integrative Physiology) fulfills the lower division written communication requirement. IPHY 3700-3 (Scientific Writing in Integrative Physiology) fulfills the upper division written communication requirement. These courses also help fulfill the 30-hour requirement in Integrative Physiology.
  • Do I have to take writing through IPHY?
    Only if you pursue honors or a BA/MS degree. IPHY 3700 is strongly recommended for certain Pre-Health majors and as preparation for graduate school. See your Pre-Health advisor if you have additional questions about IPHY 3700's applicability to graduate health programs.

Transfer Issues

  • How can I be sure a course from another school will transfer to CU? How do I know if it will apply to a core or major requirement?
    It is recommended that you have any transfer coursework preapproved. For core or elective classes you will need to complete the preapproval form which can be found on the Academic Advising Center website (
  • How do I get a transfer course approved?
    Please check the list of courses at for classes that have already been approved for transfer credit. For pre-approval of non-IPHY coursework (ancillary or Core courses) that is not from a Colorado Community College you will need to submit the "Transfer Credit Pre-Approval" form. On the left side of the screen click on "Petitions/Forms" then select "Transfer Credit Pre-Approval". Follow the directions and be as specific as possible under the "major or core requirement" column (ex. If you want a calculus class to come in as MATH 1300 then be sure to specify MATH 1300 in that column). You will submit the form, course description, and sometimes syllabi, to the Academic Advising Center in Woodbury 109. It can take 3 to 6 weeks for a response.
    BEFORE you take an Integrative Physiology course at another US institution, bring the 'Pre-approval' form and the course description to your advisor for evaluation of the course. For courses from foreign institutions, begin the process at the Office of International Education.
  • How do I know if my study abroad credits will transfer to CU Boulder?
    If you are going to study abroad through the CU Boulder study abroad programs, the credits are transferable. Did you know you can take pre- approved IPHY core courses abroad? Check it out here for a list of pre- approved IPHY courses (make sure to select the IPHY tab at bottom of the Excel sheet): If an IPHY related course is not on the pre-approved list and you think it could be approved as an IPHY core or an IPHY elective, please submit the "major equivalencies evaluation form" to your advisor and have the course reviewed. Question? Visit the study abroad office for more details.
  • Can I take courses through Continuing Education to meet A&S core or major requirements?
    Yes, some courses offered through Continuing Education have been approved to meet A&S core requirements, just be sure to double check when registering. Look for courses under "Distance-Independent Learning". You can choose a course that is self-paced and gives you six months to complete it, or a term-based course that has a specific window of time for the course objectives to be completed in. The CU tuition does not include any courses taken through Continuing Education. For a list of courses and more information on the Continuing Education Program, please visit their website at

Advanced/Individualized Courses

  • How do I get involved in research or independent study?
    There are many ways to get involved in research. One way to get started is to go to the departmental website,, and check out the research areas in which the faculty are engaged. When you find an area that interests you, talk to the faculty member to see how you can get involved. Credit can be gained via independent study or funding can be provided via the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP): Minimum prerequisites for independent study are junior standing and an overall GPA of 2.0. See for more information online.
  • How do I get involved in teaching?
    We offer the opportunity for students to be Teaching Assistants in courses which have a laboratory component. Students must have instructor approval and must have earned at least a B- in the course they wish to assist. See the IPHY 3010 (Teaching in Integrative Physiology) application for more details:
  • Are internships required?
    No, but they are highly recommended. Those students whose goal is a graduate health program will probably be doing a number of volunteer internships in situations related to the program of interest. See the Pre-Health office for more information. For students who plan careers not requiring an advanced degree (corporate health, health administration, pharmaceutical or health supplement sales, for example) an internship for credit can provide an opportunity to work in the field of interest and develop contacts. Prerequisites for IPHY 4930 are junior or senior standing, completion of at least 2 of the upper division major core courses, and an overall GPA of 2.0 (see the internship application for details:

    Freshmen and sophomores with an internship possibility can look into IPHY 2910 (Practicum in Integrative Physiology): See Dr. Sherwood or your advisor for more information.
  • How do I find out about internships?
    Check the Integrative Physiology bulletin board in Clare Small and the opportunities page at Call the hospital/clinic/health club you are interested in. Watch for emails from advising. Go to the Career Services Office, The PreHealth office also keeps an updated handout on local volunteer opportunities, among many other useful things (
  • I'm interested in doing an Honors Thesis. Do you have an Honors Program?
    Yes, we offer the opportunity for strong students to pursue departmental honors. To apply, you need to be a sophomore or junior with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3. A written research thesis will be required of students in order to graduate with departmental honors. For more information, please contact Dr. Sherwood.

Careers/Graduate Study

  • How do I find out about careers in Integrative Physiology?
    Go to Career Services ( Ask the faculty. For health-related careers, contact PreHealth advising in University Club 111. Watch for emails from Academic Advising or the Integrative Physiology Student Club. And finally, see Dr. Sherwood for more information.
  • What are the best courses to take to get into a medical/dental/nursing/physical therapy program?
    The Pre-Health advisors are best suited to answer those types of questions ( ). In general it is recommended to take the more challenging courses, when an option is available. Usually it is not only GPA, but also test scores and relevant experience that help improve an applicants chances of admittance. The Pre-Health website also has information regarding the pre-requisites for various health care career paths; available under the "Health Careers" heading on the left side of the page. If you are curious about a specific program’s preferences, we encourage you to contact that school directly.
  • Can I earn a BA and an MS in five years?
    Yes. The Department offers a concurrent BA/MS program for strong, highly motivated students with at least a 3.3 cumulative GPA. For more information or to apply, contact Dr. Sherwood during your sophomore year (and no later than the second semester of your junior year).