Master of Science Degree
Master's candidates entering the graduate program must complete 30 credits to graduate. They may select one of three options:
- Coursework only
- Research project - coursework plus 3 research project hours
- Thesis - coursework plus 4-6 thesis hours
It is possible, however, to change from one option to another during the program of study.
The following are required of all students for the Master of Science degree:
- IPHY 5100 (Colloquium in Integrative Physiology) and
- IPHY 5800 (Advanced Statistics and Research in Integrative Physiology)
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in all graduate work undertaken
- Satisfactory performance on the comprehensive exam
- Completion of advanced degree requirements as stipulated by the Graduate School
- Fulfillment of the thesis (IPHY 6950) or research project (IPHY 6840) requirements.
Candidacy for Degree
Within the first semester of study, the student and mentor must prepare a program of study for the student. This program of study may be changed during the residence of the student with the approval of the mentor. It is the student's responsibility to transfer the program of study to the Application for Admission to Candidacy form required for graduation. The Application to Candidacy is due no later than ten weeks prior to defense of the thesis or research project. The original Application to Candidacy form should be submitted to the Program Assistant for review and approval.
All candidates are required to complete an examination (oral or written) covering the thesis or research project as well as course work leading to the degree.