Douglas R. Seals
Douglas R. Seals, Ph.D.
Department of Integrative Physiology
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309
- "Vascular aging", particularly the changes in large artery stiffness and vascular endothelial function that occur with physiological and pathophysiological aging.
- Biological and lifestyle factors that influence vascular aging.
- The integrative (molecular to systemic) mechanisms that mediate vascular aging and its modulation by biological and lifestyle factors.
- Anti-aging interventions to improve broad adverse aging phenotypes, including reductions in motor performance.
- Integrative Physiology of Aging Laboratory.
- 1972-76, B.S./B.S., Education/Business Administration, William Jewell College,
- 1977-79, M.S., Applied/Exercise Physiology, University
of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
- 1979-81, Ph.D., Applied/Exercise
Physiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
- 1981-1984, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of
Medicine, Section of Applied Physiology, Washington
University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO.
- 1984-1985, Assistant Professor, Department of Exercise
Science, University of Iowa,
Iowa City, IA.
- 1985-1988, Assistant Professor, Department of Exercise
and Sport Sciences, University
of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- 1987-1989, Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology,
University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ.
- 1989-1992, Associate Professor, Department of Exercise
and Sport Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- 1990-1992, Associate Professor, Department of Physiology,
University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ.
- 1992-1995, Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology, University of Colorado,
- 1993-1995, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine,
Division of Cardiology, University
of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO.
- 1995-1998, Professor, Department of Kinesiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 1996-Present, Professor, Department of Medicine, Divisions
of Cardiology and Geriatric Medicine, University of Colorado
Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO.
- 1998-2002, Professor, Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2000-2004, Assistant Program Director, UC-Boulder General
Clinical Research Center.
- 2003-Present, Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology,
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2008-Present, Arts and Sciences College Professor of Distinction, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
Honors and Awards
- 1988-1993, Research Career Development Award, National Institute on Aging.
- Fellow, American Heart Association Councils on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences, High Blood Pressure Research, and Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism.
- 1999-2005, Editor-in-Chief, Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews.
- 1999-2008, Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Physiology.
- 1999-2003, NIH IRG Member, Clinical Aging Review Committee, National Institute on Aging.
- 2003, Citation Award, American College of Sports Medicine.
- 2005, Herbert H. deVries Award for Distinguished Research in the Field of Aging.
- 2004-present, NIH, National Institute on Aging MERIT Award (R37 AG013038).
- 2006, UC-Boulder Faculty Assembly Award for Research, Scholarly, and Creative Work.
- 2007-2012, regular member of NIH IRG Aging Systems and Geriatrics Study Section.
- 2008, College of Arts and Sciences Professor of Distinction.
- 2011, Director, Responsible Conduct of Research, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- DeVan AE, Seals DR. Vascular health in the ageing athlete. Experimental Physiology 97: 305-310, 2012.
- Donato AJ, Magerko KA, Lawson BR, Durrant JR, Lesniewski LA, Seals DR. SIRT-1 and vascular endothelial dysfunction with ageing in mice and humans. Journal of Physiology 589: 4545-4554, 2011.
- Fleenor BS, Marshall KD, Rippe C, Seals DR. Replicative aging induces endothelial to mesenchymal transition in human aortic endothelial cells: potential role of inflammation. Journal of Vascular Research 49: 59-64, 2012.
- Fleenor BS, Seals DR, Zigler ML, Sindler AL. Superoxide-lowering therapy with TEMPOL reverses arterial dysfunction with aging in mice. Aging Cell 11: 269-276, 2012.
- Gano LB, Donato AJ, Pierce GL, Pasha HM, Magerko KA, Roeca C, Seals DR. Increased proinflammatory and oxidant gene expression in circulating mononuclear cells in older adults: amelioration by habitual exercise. Journal of Physiological Genomics 43: 895-902, 2011.
- Jablonski KL, Chonchol M, Pierce GL, Walker AE, Seals DR. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D deficiency is associated with inflammation-linked vascular endothelial dysfunction in middle-aged and older adults. Hypertension 57: 63-69, 2011.
- Jalal D, Jablonski K, McFann K, Chonchol M, Seals DR. Vascular endothelial function is not related to serum uric acid in healthy adults. American Journal of Hypertension 25: 407-413, 2012.
- Kaplon RE, Walker AE, Seals DR. Plasma norepinephrine is an independent predictor of vascular endothelial dysfunction with aging in healthy women. Journal of Applied Physiology 111: 1416-21, 2011.
- LaRocca TJ, Henson GD, Thorburn A, Sindler AL, Pierce GL, Seals DR. Translational evidence that impaired autophagy contributes to arterial ageing. Journal of Physiology 590: 3305-3316, 2012.
- Lesniewski LA, Durrant JR, Connell ML, Folian BJ, Donato AJ, Seals DR. Salicylate treatment improves age-associated vascular endothelial dysfunction: potential role of nuclear factor κB and forkhead box O phosphorylation. Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 66A: 409-418, 2011.
- Lesniewski LA, Durrant JR, Connell ML, Henson GD, Black AD, Donato AJ, Seals DR. Aerobic exercise reverses arterial inflammation with aging in mice. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology H1025-H1032, 2011.
- Lesniewski LA, Zigler MC, Durrant JR, Donato AJ, Seals DR. Sustained activation of AMPK ameliorates age-associated vascular endothelial dysfunction via a nitric oxide-independent mechanism. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 133: 368-371, 2012.
- Pierce GL, Donato AJ, LaRocca TJ, Eskurza I, Silver AE, Seals DR. Habitually exercising older men do not demonstrate age-associated vascular endothelial oxidative stress. Aging Cell 10: 1032-37, 2011.
- Rippe C, Blimline M, Magerko KA, Lawson BR, LaRocca TJ, Donato AJ, Seals DR. MicroRNA changes in human endothelial cells with senescence: relation to apoptosis, eNOS and inflammation. Experimental Gerontology 47:45-51, 2012.
- Seals DR, Jablonski KL, Donato AJ. Aging and vascular endothelial function in humans. Clinical Science 120: 357-375, 2011.
- Sindler AL, Fleenor BS, Calvert JW, Marshall KD, Zigler ML, Lefer DJ, Seals DR. Nitrite supplementation reverses vascular endothelial dysfunction and large elastic artery stiffness with aging. Aging Cell 10: 429-437, 2011.