DEPA Annual Memo

Disclosure of External Professional Activities (DEPA) Memo of 1/15/13

The Annual Disclosure of External Professional Activity (DEPA) reporting period is 1/15/13-3/31/13

This is to remind all faculty members and all research personnel, as well as staff who support department compliance reporting processes, of the requirement to complete a Disclosure of External Professional Activities (DEPA) annually, by March 31, 2013. Failure to submit can result in delayed processing of grant/contract proposals, establishing speedtypes, renewal /continuation of speedtypes, delayed approval from compliance review committees such as IRB, IACUC, etc.. All personnel responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research are required to submit a DEPA.

Specific groups affected by this reporting requirement include:

  • All Tenure track faculty (all levels); Adjunct, Visiting, and Research faculty (all levels) and select Retired faculty
  • All PRAs/RAs (all levels), Instructors (all levels), Librarians, Museum Associates
  • Graduate students/Fellows- IF they are responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research
  • Undergraduate students, volunteers and consultants -ONLY IF they are responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research
  • The following groups typically DO NOT need to report: lecturers, TAs, Professional Exempts and Adjoint faculty

Please contact the COIC Office, or the department administrator with which you are affiliated, if you have questions about your reporting responsibilities.

We recommend using the following browsers: Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari. In order to better prepare for the questions asked on the reporting form you may want to view the Sample Form available via the FAQs on the left hand side of the reporting page. The Getting Started link will assist you in moving through the form using the proper keys/buttons.

Instructions for entering the reporting site at:
Log in with your CU Login Name and Identikey password.

Once you are logged in:

  1. Click on the tab at the top of the page: CU Resources
  2. Click on Faculty Reporting & Professional Disclosure (BOTTOM left side, in the gold shaded area; do not confuse with Reporting option at the top left of page)
  3. Scroll down past the FRPA option until the Login to DEPA link becomes visible, then click that link

For Assistance:

  • You must be established in the CU personnel system with either an Employee ID number (EIN) or a Person of Interest ID number (POI) in order to access the DEPA reporting site. For information about these types of IDs please contact the Personnel Payroll Liaison (PPL) for the department with which you are affiliated.
  • IT Help: If you have technical difficulties logging into MyCUInfo, accessing the CU Resources tab, or accessing the link to the DEPA form, please email: or call: 303-735-4357 (5-HELP)
  • Content Help: If you have questions about the DEPA form, please see the Sample DEPA Form or email the Compliance Director, Conflicts of Interest and Commitment in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research: or, simply, Or call 303-492-3024.

Regarding New Requirements:

USE OF SELF-AUTHORED INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS. All self-authored instructional materials being required or recommended in a faculty author’s course must receive department approval prior to adoption for course in order for a Conflict of Interest Disclosure of External Professional Activities report (DEPA) to be approved. The approval form and instructions for its use can be found on the DEPA reporting site and on the COIC website.

EDUCATIONAL TRAINING FOR PHS/NIH RESEARCHERS. All PHS/NIH research personnel must complete COI educational training once every four years in order be compliant. A quick tutorial specifically developed for the Boulder campus, and which does not require testing, is available via SkillSoft. Alternatively, anyone attending the COIC lecture in the Responsible Conduct for Researchers refresher class on Saturday 1/26/13 would not need to take the SkillSoft module.

TRAVEL REPORTING FOR PHS/NIH RESEARCHERS. All PHS/NIH research personnel must report specific kinds of sponsored/reimbursed travel throughout the year. You can find out more about those requirements on the DEPA reporting site under FAQs, and on the COIC website.