Published: Nov. 25, 2015

Hello,

My name is Seungbin Park, and I am a PhD candidate in the political science department at CU, as well as an IAFS 1000 teaching assistant. I am writing this email to recruit and hire undergraduate research assistants for my doctoral dissertation. I am looking for undergraduate students who can assist me in collecting information online on Asian governments’ policies toward their oversea populations or diasporas. Each assistant will be working approximately 20 – 26 hours during the winter vacation. For more information about job responsibilities, employment length, payment, and requirements, please see below. You can download the application here .

If you would like to work as my research assistant during the winter break, please fill out the attached application form and submit it to me through email at seungbin.park@colorado.edu by December 4th. If you have any questions about this work opportunity, please do not hesitate to email me.

Best,
Seungbin Park
Ph.D. Candidate in Political Science
University of Colorado, Boulder
seungbin.park@colorado.edu

Job Description: Undergraduate Research Assistant

Undergraduate research assistants will participate in the data collection of Seungbin’s doctoral dissertation. The assistants will assist me in collecting data on Asian governments’ policies toward their oversea populations or diasporas from online sources.

Requirements

1. As stated below, student assistants will search, read, and translate diverse written materials about one of the below Asian countries in its native language, so native Asian speakers are preferred. However, if you are quite knowledgeable about a certain Asian country and able to read in and speak its language fluently, you may be employed as an assistant. To check whether this requirement is met, you should show me any proof of nationality (e.g. I-20, F-1 Visa) or language level (e.g. test result).
  2. Student assistants do not need to have experience with specialized software or datasets, but it is required to have strong computer skills including knowledge on general Internet searches and Microsoft Office, especially Word.
  3. Junior or senior students are generally preferred.
  4. Students who are a research grant recipient may not be eligible for this work opportunity.

Asian Countries

Expected Work Hours

Group 1: Afghanistan, China, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Nepal, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

26 Hours

Group 2: East Timor, Kuwait, Laos, Myanmar

24 Hours

Group 3: Iran

20 Hours

• Arab countries: If you are native Arabic, you can work for me even though your home country is not listed in the above table.
  • Kyrgyzstan and East Timor: Russian and Portuguese speakers are also eligible.

Responsibilities

1. Student assistants will do two tasks: search and translate. First, the assistants will search and read annual reports, regulations, laws, events, speeches, news, etc. on official government websites (i.e. ministries of foreign affairs, education, religion, culture, etc., parliament, president / prime minister’s office) and two online news websites to look for the information of diaspora policies. Once the above task has been done, the collected information will be translated into English.
  2. All student assistants will be trained to work as my assistants before the winter break starts. The training will take about 2 hours.

Length of Employment

1. As the above table shows, student assistants will be working approximately 20 – 26 hours during the winter vacation. All works should be completed before the spring semester starts.
  2. Note that you may be asked to work more than the stated hours if necessary. You will be paid for any extra hours worked.

Pay Rate and Method

1. The pay rate is $8 per hour. Student assistants will go through the university hiring process and be paid directly from the university.
  2. All assistants should turn in a timesheet. You should record how many hours you worked and what you did in the timesheet and submit it to me. If you fail to do so, you may not be paid for your work