What is the Affordable Care Act?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA), signed into law in 2010, created greater access to health insurance and health care for all Americans. One of the major features of the Act established a new health insurance marketplace for individuals to purchase insurance, at the same time determining your eligibility for health insurance subsidy. This sets a national standard for enrollment, coverage, and claims processes and procedures.
Goals of ACA
- Decrease costs of health care and insurance to consumers
- Improve the quality of health care services
- Increase access to cost-effective health care services
The Insurance Marketplace
- Allows for comparative shopping for insurance plans
- Became available for enrollment on October 1, 2013
- Subsidies for insurance plans may be available if purchased through the marketplace
- Individuals can apply for Medicaid coverage through the marketplace
- Colorado Marketplace: www.ConnectforHealthCO.com