Student-initiated Funding

Here are a number of avenues to explore for students who are interested in seeking funding for their graduate education:

CU-Boulder and Regional Awards and Grants

Graduate School Awards

Travel Grants provide partial funding for students traveling to conferences to present their research.

  • Graduate School Travel Grants
    This application for travel occurring 7/1/16-12/31/16 will be open on:
    May 12, 2016 from 8:30am-12:00pm for FIRST-TIME applicants only 
    May 13, 2016 from 8:30am-1:30pm for ALL applicants
    Domestic Travel Grant Application (including Mexico and Canada)
    International Travel Grant Application (excluding Mexico and Canada)
  • The Graduate School offers partial funding for graduate students to present research findings at meetings or conferences outside Colorado. The Graduate School provides a travel grant of $300 for domestic conferences and $500 for international conferences.

  • UGGS Travel Grants

Additional Awards and Grants

  • Brown/Ricketts/Udick Grant awards three $1,000 grants to graduate women attending the University of Colorado.
  • Center of Asian Studies Summer Language Fellowship for Asian language and area studies are available to full-time graduate students in any department or professional school who are taking both modern Asian language and Asian studies courses.  Fellows must be American citizens or permanent residents.
  • John W. Marr Ecology Fund provides grants for Ph.D. candidates doing field research in plant ecology in the Rocky Mountains or the Arctic.
  • UGGS Student Group Grant
  • Colorado European Union Center of Excellence CU Graduate Research Grant is a €1000 grant awarded to graduate-level students pursuing research related to the European Union and European-American relations. For more information, email
  • Colorado European Union Center of Excellence CU-EU Fellowship is an €8,000 fellowship for graduate students, in any field, to do research pertaining to the EU on the ground in Europe for an extended period of time. For more information, email

<< return to top

Loans and Student Employment

Office of Financial Aid has information regarding loans and work-study.

Federal Financial Aid: Students applying for financial aid should submit the graduate version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1. You must be enrolled in at least four semester hours to be eligible to receive federal or state financial aid or to be eligible for a deferment on any of your federal loans.

Student Employment: CU-Boulder's Student Employment Office posts an average of 600 part-time, on-campus and off-campus jobs for students. These notices are posted on MyCUInfo, bulletin boards outside UMC 165, and in the Student Employment office in Regent 205. Domestic U.S. graduate students may qualify for work-study awards; call the Student Employment Office to find out at 303-492-7349. International students may verify their employment eligibility through International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). For more information go to the Student Employment Website.

Housing & Dining Services: For information on employment opportunities, visit

Loans: Additional resources on the web for student borrowers include: