Campus Transitioning Guide

Therapy & Medical Transition

This section deals with therapy and hormone resources on campus. For off campus resources, please consult the list at the bottom of the page.


While therapy is no longer a mandatory prerequisite for medical transition, we know that many trans-identified, transitioning, and questioning people still seek it out and find it beneficial in their transition journey.

CU has three primary options for therapy for students: Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Wardenburg's Psychological Health and Psychiatry (PHP), and the Raimy Clinic through the Psychology Department.

  • CAPS
    Treatments are primarily short-term, and students may receive up to 6 sessions a year after intake. Individuals interested in utilizing CAPS can visit their office in C4C S440. When asked if any providers with experience with trans-identifying and transitioning people would like to be listed, the following providers responded. This is not to say that other providers do not have experience with trans patients, rather that only these providers explicitly expressed interest in being included in this guide.
    • Glenda Russell, PhD (Psychologist)

  • PHP
    When asked if any providers with experience with trans-identifying and transitioning people would like to be listed, the following providers responded. This is not to say that other providers do not have experience with trans patients, rather that only these providers explicitly expressed interest in being included in this guide.
    • Sabrina Neu, PsyD (Psychologist)
    • Jean-Marc Wong, MD (Psychiatrist)
    • Matthew Heermann (Psychologist)
    • Anna Hogeland (Social Worker)
    • Sarah Grace Danborn (Social Worker)

  • Raimy Clinic
    Treatments are primarily short-term however they also take cases for longer term treatment (1-2 years). Individuals interested in treatment can call the intake line at (303) 492-5177, and if desired specify that treatment is sought for transitioning in order to be paired with a therapist and supervisor who is being trained and/or has experience in this area.

Medical Transition

For the purposes of this guide, medical transition is referring to any steps taking using supplements, hormones, or surgery to change the body. CU does have a few resources for students who wish to medically transition.

How do I get hormones?

Dr. Ann Mattson at Women's Health at Wardenburg is a provider for hormone care for transitioning students. The best way to pursue Wardenburg as an option for hormones is to call Women's Heatlh at (303) 492-2030 to schedule an appointment. The Women's Health clinic is open to folks of all genders.

Dr. Mattson does require a therapy letter for initiation of hormone therapy. If someone is already receiving hormone therapy, she requires records from their prior provider.

Hormone services are available to any person who is eligible for services at Wardenburg. CU Gold and Campus Care plans will cover these services, and anyone not covered with either of those plans would need to pay out of pocket and submit a claim to their own insurance for reimbursement.

Can I fill my hormone prescriptions on campus?

The Apothecary in Wardenburg is a full-service pharmacy that anyone can use. For information on having your preferred name called when waiting for a prescription at the Apothecary, please visit the Name, Pronoun, and Gender Marker Changes page.

Is there a nurse I can see to help with my injections?

Yes, at Women's Health at Wardenburg there is a nurse available to assist with injection training. Any student wishing to see the nurse would need to be seen by Dr. Mattson first. Coverage for services are the same as noted above.

Can my record at Wardenburg use my preferred name and gender?

Yes! There are options to include both preferred name and a "T" gender marker on your Wardenburg record. To make this change simply bring it up to whichever provider you're seeing.

Does CU insurance cover surgeries?

The CU Gold plan covers up to $10,000 worth of gender identity related healthcare. Other CU insurance plans currently do not offer this benefit. To ask questions about the CU Gold health plan, call the insurance office at Wardenburg: 303-492-5107.

Other Transitioning Resources

Where can I get voice therapy?

The CU Speech, Language, and Hearing Center has opportunities for voice assessment and training for trans-identified and transitioning people. Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) provide voice and communication training for both MTF-spectrum clients and for FTM-spectrum clients. The SLP will look at a variety of aspects of communication, including vocal pitch, intonation and resonance, and nonverbal communication.

Voice assessment will involve the collection of a case history and medical history, and assessment of voice and language. It is also important for the SLP to eliminate any vocal abusive behaviors resulting from changes in pitch and intensity. For example, an MTF-spectrum client may try to speak in a higher pitched voice; if not done correctly, this can lead to vocal nodules or other voice problems.

Goal selection for transition-related voice training is a combined effort of an individual and their speech-language pathologist. Here are some examples of areas that may be addressed:

  • pitch
  • resonance
  • intonation (the rhythm of speech)
  • rate (how fast or slow a person speaks)
  • volume/intensity
  • language
  • speech sound production (articulation)
  • pragmatics (social rules of communication)
The CU Speech, Language, and Hearing Center is a clinical education program that provides low-cost services for children, adolescents, & adults with communication disorders, including hearing, speech, language, & cognitive challenges, as well as voice evaluation and training. For more information contact (303) 492-5375 or

Off-Campus Resources

This list includes off-campus resources in the Boulder-Denver area. We would like to note that as these are not affiliated with CU, this list is for informational purposes only. If anything on this list is outdated, or you would like to see a resource added, please contact us.


  • Tara Eastcott, Psy.D.
    Tara Eastcott a therapist based in Boulder who offers individual therapy for trans-identified and transitioning people. For more information please visit her website at

  • DU Group Therapy
    The University of Denver (DU) Professional Psychology Center offers group therapy for both MTF-spectrum and FTM-spectrum identifying and transitioning individuals. For more information on these groups, please call (303) 871-3626 or visit the PPC Groups information page.

  • Neil J. Rosen, Psy.D, PC
    2299 Pearl Street, Suite 107,
    Boulder, CO 80302
    Tel: 303-494-1116

  • Laurie Friedman
    1244 Pine St., suite 204
    Boulder, CO 80302
    Tel: 303-442-9700

  • Li Brookens, LSW
    1120 Alpine Ave, Ste E 117
    Boulder, CO 80304
    Tel: 720-663-0163


If you have found any other providers or resources particularly helpful, please let us know so we can add them to this guide.

Other Resource Lists

For more lists of providers and resources concerning medical transition, please consult these lists as well.