Geography 4712 Name______________________
Sample Midterm Examination
(THIS EXAM COVERS DIFFERENT MATERIAL THAN WHAT WE COVERED SO FAR IN 2011)
Answer the exact number of questions in each of the three sections of the exam: do not answer more than the required number. Keep your eyes on your own examination. If you have any questions about the meaning or intent of the questions, ask the TAs or the instructor. GOOD LUCK
Answer 3 of the following 5 questions. Each is 10 pts.
1. How did American popular media view German Geopolitik? (O Tuathail).
the Cold War geopolitical codes of a) George Kennan, b) Henry Kissinger, c)
Charles De Gaulle and d) Jawaharlal Nehru. (
Modelski’s last 2 long cycles of hegemony to the four
Kondratieff waves? Indicate the
geopolitical developments in the phases.
Mackinder’s main contributions to geopolitical theory (
Modelski’s long cycle (phases, leaders, challengers,
Answer 3 of the following 5 questions. Each is worth 10 pts.
the Kennan approach to relations with the
2. Present 5 critiques of Wallerstein’s theory of economic cycles.
3. What were the five most important concepts of the German geopolitical tradition? List and explain.
4. What are the attitudes of Russians towards a)
5. What are the similarities and differences between Wallerstein’s and Modelski’s long cycles models?
Answer 6 of the following 10 questions. Each is worth 5 pts.
of ideology” (
2. developments in the core in Kondratieff 4B
3. peripheral processes
4. Shatterbelt and locations in 2002
6. pseudo-states and 2 contemporary examples (O’Loughlin)
7. Wallerstein’s hegemonic episodes
8. Westernizer perspective in Russian geopolitical discourse (O’Loughlin)
informal and formal imperialism (
Bonus: (2 pts)
What are the five states of former Soviet Central Asia?