Property Surplus & Disposal
Departments on campus can create profiles and initiate disposal requests with our online Surplus Property Management System.
Please click here for our Property Disposal presentation. How "To Enter a Disposal Request" begins on page 19.
What happens next . . .
- After your disposal request has been entered and authorized in the Surplus Property Management System, property services staff will email the contact person with instructions.
- Labels will be sent to the disposal request contact person through campus mail with a note instructing them to contact Steve Marvel when the labels have been affixed to all surplus items.
- When Property Services has been notified that the items are ready, they will schedule the crew to come and remove your surplus.
- On average, it takes Property Services six calendar days to pick up a disposal request from the date the department notifies us the tags have been affixed and the items are ready for pick up.
- Property Services completes approximately 150 disposal requests each month. The scope of one disposal request can range from a single item to a multiple-truck pick-up.
If Equipment or Furniture was purchased with SPA funds you'll need to get in touch with the Office of Contracts and Grants to assist in completing a Sponsored Projects Equipment Disposal Request Form.
If you have items that need hazardous material clearance, download an Environmental Health and Safety Certificate or contact Environmental Health and Safety to certify your equipment is safe for disposal.
We can also help you...
- Get authorization to cannibalize or trade in old equipment
- Make a donation to a non-profit organization
- Transfer research equipment to another institution
If you are doing any of the above three, you do not need to create a disposal request. Please contact Jack Brubaker (303-492-7207) for assistance.
If you are moving to a new location: To ensure continuing prompt delivery of your mail, please remember to notify Mailing Services (303-492-6524) as early as possible before your move.
Surplus Computer Screening
Property Services ensures that all electronics are disposed of responsibly, in accordance with the highest industry standards for sustainability. 100% of the university's surplus electronics are diverted from landfill (approximately 260,000 lbs/year) by our staff.
Property Services staff screen surplus computer equipment; remove, sanitize and destroy data recording media; strip obsolete and non-working components for reclamation and recycling; and sell used computers and their components back to university departments at extremely competitive prices. Please contact us at 303-492-2377 to ask what kind of used equipment we have available for resale.
Please properly recycle/dispose of office items:
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) and mercury-containing bulbs: Submit waste tags to EH&S and Facilities Management, or call 303-492-7845.
- Rechargeable/Alkaline Batteries: Find information here or call 303-492-7845 for drop-off locations and instructions.
- Electronics: Please dispose of all state owned electronics through our Surplus Property Management System or call 303-492-6524.
- Cell phones, MP3s/IPODs and chargers: Drop off at the UMC, Norlin Library, Darley Commons, or mail to 207 UCB.
Please contact CU Recycling (303-492-8307) for other recycling questions.