Use common sense and good judgment when using devices that produce heat. This includes cooking, using candles, using heat-producing appliances such as coffee machines, and other activities.
Small Appliances: See FLS' policy on Small Appliances for more information.
Portable Heaters: Portable heaters are to be used only when the central heating system is malfunctioning and a comfortable temperature cannot be maintained, and only after written approval by the Campus Fire Marshal. Keep heaters away from combustibles, and unplug the unit when not in use. For more information see FLS' policies on Portable Heaters.
Smoking: Smoking is prohibited in campus buildings except for pre-approved theatrical performances.
Electrical hazards: Electrical devices can present a serious fire hazard when not used properly.
• Never leave sources of ignition, such as a hot stove or a burning candle, unattended.
• Turn off or unplug appliances when they are not being used.
• Do not use electrical devices with frayed or damaged cords or exposed wiring.
• Use only devices that are UL listed.
• Avoid using extension cords and do not overload circuits.
• Do not continue using a device if it consistently trips the circuit breaker.
• If a device emits an unusual odor, turn it off and unplug it immediately. Do not use the device until it is repaired.
• Follow all directions included with your electrical devices.