Effective Scholarship Searches
- Actively investigate as many scholarship opportunities as possible
- Read all application materials thoroughly
- Don't be discouraged by scholarships for small dollar amounts, every bit helps!
- Open an email account specifically for scholarships using a professional name. Avoid names which are cutesy or inappropriate. Check the account frequently so you don't miss any important messages.
- Track deadlines
- Gather application materials - recommendation letters, birth certificate, etc
- Update your resume. See Resume Tips
- Write essays tailored to the scholarship you are applying for. See Effective Essays
- Submit the applications on time
- Complete the FAFSA
- Say thank you if you receive an award
Additional search tips are available at Finaid.org/scholarships that includes Winning a Scholarship Quick Reference Guide from Fastweb.