Construction and Deconstruction Materials Recycling Program
All new buildings and major renovations on campus are built to a LEED™ Gold Certification; however, we are expanding our efforts and including small projects in the University’s overall goal of zero waste. Over the past year many contractors have participated in the C&D Materials Recycling pilot program. This program tracked the amount and type of construction waste diverted from landfills. With help from our standing order contractors, we are hoping this next year will bring record breaking diversion rates.
To implement the university’s campus wide zero waste plan
To mirror city and county actions
To meet the State of Colorado’s goals to reduce construction waste
and to achieve zero construction waste.
To reduce the volume and percent of recyclable construction materials that go to the landfill
generating revenue from materials sold and/or recovered for re-use
reducing and avoiding the environmental effects of manufacturing new building products
What do I need to do as a contractor?
- Make a recycling plan for your job site prior to beginning work
- Set up dumpters or roll-offs to separate and collect recyclable materials
- Deliver your materials to the recyclers and collect the ticket with information about date, amount and materials
- Fill out the Construction & Deconstruction Materials Tracking Spreadsheet as you deliver materials to the recyclers or the landfill and collect and make copies of the ticket.
- If you take materials back to your company yard, when you take the materials to the recycler, make a copy of the ticket and on the spreadsheet estimate the portion associated with the CU job.
- Finalize and complete an electronic version of the Construction & Deconstruction Materials Tracking Spreadsheet.
- Email the spreadsheet and copies of each ticket to the CU Project Coordinator with your other close out documents.
There is a wide array of resources available throughout the Boulder-Denver area. We have compiled a list of recycling places and locations based on the materials accepted. C&D Materials Recycling - Company Information