UCB Vending Operations
CAMPUS VENDING OPERATIONS HAVE MOVED TO THE BOOKSTORE. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
CU Vending – 303-492-7028
The UCB Book Store administers the contracts for food and beverage vending, newspaper racks, and express mail drop boxes. All vending contracts are bid competitively, in accordance with State and University regulations.
Food and Beverage Vending
Beverage vending for the Boulder Campus is contracted with Pepsi, and food vending with Canteen Corporation. Pepsi products include Dole and Tropicana juices, Aquafina water, Gatorade, Propel water, Lipton Ice Tea, Frappacino, Amp Energy Drink, and SoBe drinks.
- Outside vendors may not place food or beverage vending machines on the Boulder Campus. Honor boxes, or sale of snacks or beverages for departmental revenue, fundraising or charity are not allowed.
- UCB receives commissions from food and beverage vending sales. Pepsi and Canteen guarantee a minimum commission amount annually, and UCB guarantees a minimum number of machine placements.
- The commissions are distributed by Property Services on a periodic basis to the campus based on actual sales and location of the machine. Revenue from the vending sales supports scholarships, financial aid to dependants of faculty and staff, and operating revenue for auxiliary locations, such as Housing, UMC and Recreation Center.
- Pepsi contributes additional amounts annually to the Pepsi scholarship fund. UCB Financial Aid designed and administers this scholarship fund.
- Pepsi also makes an annual contribution to fund environmental initiatives on campus, for example, alternative transportation, chemical waste reduction or energy conservation. This fund is administered by the Vice Chancellor of Administration.
- Pepsi's Community to School Vending program debuted in Spring 2001, which provides UCB with case sales rebates from Pepsi machines added to businesses in the community which agree to partner with UCB. The revenue from this program is used to supplement UCB's general scholarship fund.
- Pepsi recycles the plastic rings from their product distribution, and all cardboard from Pepsi and Canteen product distribution is recycled either by depositing it in established UCB recycling areas, the UCB recycling facility, or transporting it back to the vendor facility.
- Pepsi and Canteen continue to demonstrate their strong support and commitment to UCB through the partnerships in the vending program. It is exciting to see the support of food and beverage vending on campus because of the valuable programs the revenue supports while providing a convenient service to the community.
- Machines are regularly upgraded and products are being introduced on campus. There are currently 325 food and beverage machines on the Boulder Campus.
Adding a Vending Machine
The following factors are considered for placement approval:
- adequate space must be provided to allow filling the machines (usually the width of the machine plus the depth of the machine) without blocking traffic in buildings
- machine placement may not block any fire extinguishers, electrical panels or other items requiring access
- locations require fairly high visibility and ease of access; Canteen or Pepsi may not install in low volume locations (see sales)
- access by Canteen and/or Pepsi to service the machines
(machines should not be located in locked rooms, or located on upper
floors where there is only stair access)
- adequate power must be located in proximity of the machines. Please telephone CU Vending at 303-492-7028 for specifics regarding power requirements.
- a water supply is required for coffee machines. A 3/8 " water line in
addition to the electrical supply needs to be available.
Per contract, Canteen and Pepsi require a monthly minimum sales level to place a new machine:
- Pepsi...................... $100 per month
- Glassfront Snack.....$200 per month
- Coffee.....................$200 per month
Canteen will place a machine and monitor the sales for no less than a three month period. At the end of the evaluation period, Canteen may request removal if the volume is too low to justify the machine.
- Requestor is responsible for obtaining approval of the building proctor
- Property Services is responsible for obtaining approvals from Canteen and/or Pepsi
Remove or Relocate a Machine
- Never try to move a vending machine yourself. Due to safety and liability issues, Canteen and Pepsi technicians are required to move their machines.
- Canteen and Pepsi will try to accomodate emergencies, but please try to provide us at least two weeks advance notice of any required move.
- Temporary re-locations to accomodate construction, carpet installation, or the like do not require special authorization; however, permanent re-locations must meet the same requirements as new machine placement.