U.S.P.S. OPTIONS — Meterline
First-Class mail is material wholly or partially handwritten (including carbons), postcards, completed forms, statements, invoices, and typewritten or computer processed correspondence.
- Weight: Up to and including 13 ounces. Mail over 13 ounces will go at the Priority Rate.
- Size: Minimum is 3 1/2" x 5" for envelopes, cards and self-mailers. Cards larger than 4 1/4" x 6" require first-class postage. Caution: orientation of the address label may affect eligibility for mailing.
- Non-Standard Surcharge: Additional postage required for first-class matter weighing one ounce or less which exceeds 11 1/2" length, 6 1/8" in height or 1/4" thickness. The placement of the address determines which side of the piece is the length; therefore, if the piece is addressed such that the address is read across the short side of the piece, the postage surcharge may apply.
Priority mail consists of all first class mail weighing over 13 ounces and up to 70 pounds. In addition, mail weighing less than 13 ounces may be sent as priority mail, providing that the postage for the minimum priority rate (13 ounces) is paid. The USPS targets a two day delivery of priority mail, however two day delivery is not guaranteed. Any type of mail (e.g. books, printed matter, etc.) may be sent as priority mail when expediency is necessary.
Parcel Post Mail
Parcel Post is a package service which can be less expensive than first class priority mail. There are machinable and non-machinable rates for this service. Delivery time is usually 2 to 3 days longer than first class mail. You can save up to 10 % over first class for this service. Packages requesting this service should be marked Parcel Post.
- Regular shaped cardboard or paper wrapped boxes, or soft padded packages less than 35 lbs can be sent at the less expensive machinable parcel rate.
- Irregular shaped packages, cans, rolls, and tubes, metal, wood or plastic containers must be sent at the non-machinable rate. Savings for the non-machiable service are less than 5% compared with Priority Mail rates.
Media Mail is a service that is less costly but slower than first class mail. There is no guaranteed delivery time for this service, but it usually takes 7 – 10 days. This service is usually used for mailing objective test materials, films, recordings, computer readable media, manuscripts, catalogs and other reference materials such as charts, graphs and diagrams. There is a substantial savings compared to first class mail for any packages over 8 oz., up to 70 lbs. Please mark the package as “Media Mail”.
Library Mail is the most economical way to mail educational materials to and from Libraries and other non-profit institutions. Materials can be mailed at this rate from the University providing that there is a CU return address on the package. Packages less than 8 ounces are less expensive to send at the first class rate, but there is substantial savings for packages from 8 ounces to 70 lbs. Materials that qualify for this service include books, library materials, films, recording tapes, and other prescribed audio-visual materials, scientific instructional kits, museum and herbarium materials. Packages must not exceed 70 pounds in weight, and each parcel must be marked "Library Mail" in bold letters. Delivery time is usually 7 – 10 days.