Published: March 20, 2017

Congratulations to Erica Wiener for her 2017 NSF GRFP!

Interview:

Erica WienerPlease tell us more about the grant:

The National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (NSF GRFP) is a highly competitive fellowship program that supports graduate students in STEM fields. Evaluation is based on a student’s intellectual merit and potential for broader impact. Fellows are awarded a three-year annual stipend of $34,000 and a $12,000 cost of education allowance, as well as other opportunities such as professional development and international research.

What you think made you stand out:

I think the combination of my diverse background of experience as well as my detailed research proposal with a unique research focus made me a strong candidate for the fellowship.

What will you use the grant for:

I plan to enter into a Ph.D. program, and the NSF GRFP will provide me with academic freedom to pursue my specific research interests. I hope to investigate fungal bioremediation and inter-species interactions between fungi and bacteria within the context of remediation.

Erica Wiener grew up in Boulder, CO and graduated from the University of Colorado Boulder with a degree in Environmental Engineering in May 2016. Throughout her undergraduate career, she was involved in various research projects, including a position at the National Center for Atmospheric Research on a wind energy forecasting project, and a position on Professor Joseph Ryan’s Air Water Gas Project. Erica was the project manager for a 6-person senior design team that won first place in a national design competition with the design titled, “Mycoremediation Applications for Stormwater Management”. She also served as a program manager, travel member, and secretary for Engineers Without Borders Nepal Team. She was a member of the Engineering Honors Program, a community that inspired her to pursue a future in academia. She will be pursuing her Ph.D. starting in Fall 2017.