The Engineering Plus program prepares graduates for exciting, diverse, and innovative professional careers and for graduate study in a wide variety of disciplines. An engineering degree in e+ provides a pathway through engineering for students interested in interdisciplinary, hands-on design, coupled with an Emphasis, plus the flexibility to explore another passion through the selection of an e+ Concentration. Graduates from the Engineering Plus program will find opportunities in many engineering enterprises, as well as unique positions enabled by their engineering Emphasis and Concentration choices. Students gain confidence and professional skills emphasizing leadership, collaboration and communication, through multiple team-based courses.
Engineering Plus prepares its graduates to make significant contributions in many diverse areas. Specifically, within five years of graduation our graduates will have achieved one or more of the following attributes:
established themselves as excellent secondary science or math teachers, utilizing hands-on engineering design content in their curriculum;
established themselves in professional careers, received a graduate or professional degree, or be enrolled in a graduate or professional degree program;
played significant roles in an engineering or technical enterprise, including research and development of engineering systems and products, technical sales, technical training and organizational education;
advanced in professional standing based on their technical accomplishments and accumulated additional technical expertise to remain globally competitive;
demonstrated professional and personal leadership and growth.
An undergraduate engineering degree in Engineering Plus prepares students to meet the following outcomes upon graduation:
- ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- understanding of the impact of engineering solutions in global, environmental, and societal contexts;
- ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice;
- ability to design a system, component, or process to meet needs within constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- knowledge in a specified concentration that is a meaningful contribution to your selected engineering emphasis;
- applicable knowledge of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities;
- effective communication skills;
- ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- recognition for the need and ability to engage in life-long learning;
- knowledge of contemporary issues in engineering and technology.