Fall Admission only. There are no exceptions to this rule.
The on-line application Fall 2016 applications is open. Early applications are suggested to give recommenders more time to complete their letters.
MS Applicants, please note that the internship option will not be available beginning Fall 2016. All MS students will be required to complete a thesis.
MENV Applicants, please refer to the Masters of the Environment page for more information. There is a different application for the MENV degree, although the deadlines are the same.
Fall 2016 Deadlines:
- International Students: December 1
- Domestic Students: December 15
- Recommendation Letters: December 29
- On-line application: review How to Apply information from Graduate Admissions. There can be a 72-hour delay from the time you request to open an application to the time you are able to enter it. Please plan in advance. If you open an account the day the application is due, you will not make the deadline.
- GRE general test required. All applicants must take the GRE, even if they already have graduate degrees. The only exceptions are for dual MBA/MS and JD/MS applicants who may submit GMAT or LSAT scores. Fall 2016 applications: to ensure review, GRE scores must be submitted to CU-Boulder by Tuesday, December 29, 2015.
- Three (3) recommendation letters required -- submit online (preferred) or directly to Graduate Admissions. Fall 2016 applications: to ensure review, recommendations must be received by Tuesday, December 29, 2015.
- An unofficial transcript from each institution attended (including work that appears as transfer credit on a later transcript) uploaded to your on-line application. Fall 2016 applications: to ensure review, transcripts for domestic applicants must be received by Tuesday, December 29, 2015. Transcripts from international applications must be received by December 1, 2015.
- ENVS Supplemental Information Form
Values and Theory Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a writing sample.
Applicants are responsible for submitting all the required materials, including the application fee, by the due dates. Applications that are incomplete on the due date may not be reviewed.
Application decisions are made and applicants notified in early- to mid-March. Track your application.
Environmental Studies Admissions Requirements
Requirements for admission to the MS and PhD programs in the Environmental Studies Program include an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and completion of the general GRE test with recommended minimum scores in the 50th percentile or above for each section. International students whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL test.
The above scores are meant to be illustrative and are not to be understood as minimum qualifications since there can be considerable variation in scores. Letters of recommendation and student statements of interest are important considerations in the admission process.
Please review the ENVS Cover Sheet and Supplemental Form for more information and directions before beginning your application.
Graduate School Application Information
You are encouraged to use the online Graduate School application. Follow the link below for instructions about the online application form and online recommendation letter submittal site. Please read all directions thoroughly. Graduate School Prospective Student Application Process
Please indicate on Part I of the application form:
The Major Code: GR-ENVS
Degree: PhD or MS
Special Field: Your area of interest within ENVS. Please see descriptions of secondary cores.
University of Colorado at Boulder code: R4841
Environmental Studies Checklist and Supplemental Form
Your application is not considered complete until this form is received. Please read the directions on the ENVS Coversheet and Supplemental Form and submit both pages.
Deadlines for Fall 2016 Applications: December 1, 2015 for International Students; December 15, 2015 for all others.
Applications for International Students must be completed and all transcripts forwarded to International Admissions by December 1, 2015.
Supplemental materials, including transcripts, must be received by December 29, 2015.
Letters of recommendation for all applicants must be submitted by December 29, 2015. There are no exceptions to this rule. Please be aware that the online application does not generate requests for recommendations until you submit the application and pay the fee. You should plan to submit your application with enough time for your recommenders to write and submit their letters. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
International application deadline: December 1
International applicants must follow the directions on the International Admissions web site. Applications received after the December 1 deadline are unlikely to be reviewed.
For the financial assistance application deadline, contact the Financial Aid Office
Read the FAQ first. It may be helpful to print this page and the FAQs. If you can't find an answer there, please Contact Us. Email is preferred over phone calls. If you would like to speak with someone in person, please make an appointment in advance. The ENVS office is very small, and planned activities have priority.