John is an architect, an urban planner, a futurist, and an advocate for the natural environment, as well as for a world of fairness and empathy. He has worked and lived in the United States, Central Europe, and Australia, but has been with the University of Colorado Boulder as a Senior Instructor since 2006.
- University International Postgraduate Scholar, Faculty of the Built Environment, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. 2005.
- Master of Architecture, University of Colorado Denver. 2006.
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Colorado Denver. 2001.
- Ethics in Design and Technology.
- Artificial Intelligence in Architecture and Design.
- Site Research at the Portese, Roma, Italia.
- Introduction to Environmental Design I & II.
- Introduction to Environmental Design Studio.
- Design, Innovation, and the Future.
- Environmental Design Studio.
- Planning Studio.
- Architectural Studio.
- Urban Design Studio.
- Urban Site Design and Analysis in Rome.
- Environmental Design Media.
- Urban Society: Sociology in Cities.
- History of American Architecture and Urbanism.
- Digital Presentation and Portfolio.
Barbour, J. (2012). For Nature Cannot Be Fooled: The charge of urban design and architecture in the twenty-first century. Presentation given at Accent Rome for students and faculty of Sapienza, the University of Minnesota, and the University of Colorado Boulder, 28 March.
Barbour, J. (2012). Engagement in International Education. Presentation to the CIEE Summer Faculty Summit, Portland, Maine.
Barbour, J. (2008). Technological Acceleration, Design Elasticity, and the Necessity of the Social Sciences. Third International Conference on the Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Monash University Centre, Prato, Italy.
Barbour, J. & Crespi, H. (2008). Transportation demand management at North American colleges and universities. Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Conference, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Barbour, J., Crespi, H., & Roper, P. (2008). Issues in transportation demand management at North American higher-learning institutions. Proceedings of the Transportation and Universities Conference, Reno, Nevada.
Prosser, J. & Barbour, J. (2002). General Development Plan for the University of Colorado Mountain Research Station. Research undertaken for the University of Colorado Mountain Research Station.
Prosser, J. & Barbour, J. (2001). General Development Plan for the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and Anshutz-Fitzsimmons Medical Campus. Research undertaken for the University of Colorado Anshutz-Fitzsimmons Medical Campus.