Student Exchange Agreements

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a student exchange agreement?
    It is a document that has information that is contained in MOU’s, but also specific information on how many students, recruitment of students, nature of items exchanged (such as tuition, fees etc), balance of enrollments, no degree candidacy, and a sunset clause. Faculty who want to propose a new student exchange must complete the (International Education) Preliminary Proposal and Student Exchange forms for a new exchange. The timeline is 8-9 months prior to the exchange beginning. So, if you want your exchange to begin in fall 2010, you should start the process in the fall 2009.
  2. What are the Preliminary Proposal Form and Student Exchange Proposal forms for new student exchanges?
    These documents prepared by Office of International Education are designed to have the faculty members provide academic and student services information about the proposed international university. Information includes: calendar dates, grading system, majors, housing, advising, health services, etc. Forms need to be submitted to OIE at least 8-9 months prior to the anticipated date of the program. Faculty who would like help with the Study Abroad proposal, should contact the Engineering Dean's Office for assistance in preparing these forms.
  3. What happens after I submit the New Student Exchange proposal to the Office of International Education?
    Generally, you will be contacted by International Education to come and present your proposal to the Study Abroad committee. If time doesn’t permit, the Engineering representative on the CU Study Abroad Committee will present your proposal. The committee will either approve or disapprove your proposal. They may approve the proposal with some changes that were discussed at the committee meeting. If the proposal is approved, then Study Abroad will begin making the arrangements with the international university and finalize the agreement. It often takes 2-3 months to finalize things between the institutions.
  4. What if I want to do a CU faculty-led Global Exchange (faculty-led Study Abroad class)? Do I have to fill out the preliminary form and the student exchange form? Does it go to the CU Study Abroad Committee?
    Yes. You will have to fill out the forms, plus submit a syllabus for the course. These are generally easier to do, because it doesn’t involve a 2 way exchange. In order to propose a course, the faculty member needs to have the CU rank of instructor or a tenure-track faculty member. Yes. Your proposal will have to go to the Study Abroad Committee to be approved. The Study Abroad Committee usually meets once a month except during June, July, and August.
  5. What is a 1-1 student exchange?
    A 1-1 student exchange is when each student pays her or his tuition at their home school and students are exchanged not tuition. This is the easiest way to propose an exchange. 1-1 exchanges are reviewed to make sure that there is a balance of sending and receiving students on both campuses. Students in both directions are responsible for paying their own room and board.
  6. Can a faculty member propose a one-way exchange?
    Yes, but there must be an understanding about how the tuition will be paid. Most exchanges are 1-1 exchanges or provider exchanges such as CIEE or AustraLearn. CU-Boulder has a limited number CU Exchanges.
  7. Who signs the Student Exchange Agreement after it is approved by the CU Study Abroad Committee?
    In the College of Engineering and Applied Science, the Associate Dean for Education will sign the student exchange agreement. Other signatures include: Rector or President of the other institution, University Counsel, and the Chancellor and/or Provost. If the exchange involves graduate students, then the Associate Dean for Education and the Dean of the Graduate School would sign the document.
  8. What is the complete Student Exchange Agreement process?
    The process includes departmental review, Dean’s office review (Director of International Programs and Associate Dean for Education), CU Study Abroad Committee, International Education, University Counsel, and the Chancellor and or Provost. If the student exchange only involves graduate students then the Associate Dean for Education and the Dean of the Graduate School will both review the agreement.
  9. Why does it take so long to complete the Student Exchange Agreement Process?
    This agreement has to be approved by several offices on campus plus the CU Study Abroad Committee, academic, financial and administrative details have to be agreed upon between the 2 institutions and the program needs to be set up. So, as a faculty member you should plan on 8-9 months to have the exchange approved and set up.
  10. What things should you consider before proposing a student exchange?
    The faculty member should think about the quality of the international university and the school’s academic calendar. If the school’s calendar start and end dates are in the middle of CU semesters it will be hard to attract students to do an exchange. It would be better to do a research exchange agreement. Faculty should also think about language requirements and whether any of the courses are taught in English. Another thing is student interest in the exchange. Students like to be in or close to a city to be able to do things.


Important Announcements

CUEngineering:  A publication for alumni and friends. Read the 2016 edition of CUEngineering magazine here.

University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks
College of Engineering & Applied Science
Contact Us