Dual Degree Program Agreements

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a dual-degree program?
    A dual-degree program is a degree program that students are awarded by CU and another international university. Students would have in- residence time universities and meet graduation requirements at both universities. These programs have selective admission.
  2. What other requirements are there in a dual-degree program?
    There may be a language requirement and a joint research requirement. Students need to be able to pass examinations from both universities.
  3. Are there undergraduate and graduate dual-degree programs within the College of Engineering and Applied Science?
    Presently, there is one dual- degree master’s program and a couple of dual-degree PhD programs in the College. In the future, there may be undergraduate dual- degrees. Other universities have dual-masters and dual-undergraduate degrees. It is easier to have dual-master and PhD degree programs because there is more flexibility in the curriculum.
  4. What are the advantages of having dual-degrees for faculty?
    Faculty will have more opportunities to collaborate on research projects and participate in university exchanges. It also facilitates having outstanding international graduate students study at CEAS. Universities who have dual degrees are more competitive.
  5. What opportunities are there for students?
    Students will have more job opportunities in the global market with degrees from CU and another international university. It also allows students some geographical mobility in their career movement.
  6. What is the process involved for setting up a dual- degree program?
    The faculty member would need to get initial departmental approval and fill out the application for the dual- degree program. The application is available on-line and must be turned into the Associate Dean for Education’s office. After a review from the Associate Dean’s office, the dual- graduate degree proposal needs to go to the Graduate Education Council (GEC) . After obtaining approval from the GEC, the Engineering Admin Council must approve the proposal. The next step would be to get approval from the Dean of the Graduate School. If it is an undergraduate dual-degree, it’s the same process as stated above except after the dual-degree application has been reviewed, after proposal will need to go to the Undergraduate Education Council (UEC) for approval. After approval from the UEC, it will go to the Engineering Admin Council. The next step would be approval from the Provost.
  7. What documents need to be in place before the dual-degree program begins?
    There needs to be a Joint Agreement for Dual Degrees between CU and the other university. It needs to include: objectives, general conditions, supervision, selection of students, financial conditions, program representatives, intellectual property rights, duration, regulations and procedures and language of agreement. In addition, there also needs to be a Co-Directed Thesis Agreement. The Co-Directed Thesis Agreement states the conditions that need to be shared by both universities.
  8. Who signs the Joint Agreement for Dual-Degree Programs and the Co-Directed Thesis Agreement?
    The President or Rector of the other university, the Associate Dean for Education and the CU-Boulder Dean of the Graduate School sign these agreements. If it is an undergraduate dual-degree program, the Associate Dean of Education and the Provost sign the agreement.


  • Sample Engineering Dual Degree Program Agreement (coming soon)

Important Announcements

CUEngineering:  A publication for alumni and friends. Read the 2016 edition of CUEngineering magazine here.

University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks
College of Engineering & Applied Science
Contact Us