Registration and Course Selection

You are here

Learn about course registration on the college's registration page. Engineering students are expected to enroll in a full-time curriculum (at least 12 credit hours per semester).

When do I register for courses?
New students for fall register for fall courses during the summer. Students do not come to campus for this, but rather register online from any computer with an Internet connection and web browser. Log on to to register.

What if I don't register for courses during my assigned enrollement appointment?
Contact the New Student Welcome Programs office to recieve a new enrollemt appointment.

How can I learn more about course registration?
Registration instructions for new first-year freshman students may be found here. Click here for additional information/help on the actual online registration process. If you are having problems if registering off-site, you can call the Registrar's Office at 303-492-6970 and press 1 to speak with a registration assistant, or contact your academic advisor.

How many credit hours should I register for?
The college's baccalaureate degree requires 128 credit hours. A four-year plan averages out to 16 credit hours per semester. The college expects undergraduate students to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester to maintain full-time status. College students in their first semester at CU-Boulder are limited to register in no more than 17 credit hours; after the first semester, college students may register for up to 19 credit hours.

Who is my academic advisor?
To find your advisor, consult our list of advisors by major.

I have a bunch of questions about what courses to enroll in because I took AP or IB exams. What should I do?
First, refer to this AP/IB credit guide  to see what type of college credit you should expect (college credit received is based on the specific exam you take and score you receive). Then consult with your academic advisor.

I'm a transfer student. When can I get my transfer credit evaluated?
First, make sure that your school has sent final transcripts to the CU-Boulder Admissions Office (this can take 6-8 weeks). Transfer credit evaluation can start when all of your transfer coursework has been uploaded into our computer system. You should then review your transfer credit on the "degree audit" system with your academic advisor long before you register for classes. You should provide your advisor with course descriptions, course syllabi, and a copy of your transcript (all in English) to make the process easier and faster.

I want to continue with a foreign language. Is there a placement test that I can take?
If you want to continue with the same language, for most languages you will need to take the placement testat the New Student Welcome Programs website prior to your enrollment appiontment appointment (so you'll know what course to register for).

I need to prove my oral and written fluency in a non-English language for my MAPS (Minimum Academic Preparation Standards) foreign language requirement. How should I proceed?
See information on the Foreign Language Achievement Test (FLAT) and speak with your academic advisor.

How do I pick a humanities/social sciences elective?
Review your college degree requirements for humanities/social sciences (HSS) coursework. You may also wish to look ahead to some of the upper-division courses. Check to see what their pre-requisites are and then take them so that you'll be able to take the upper-division courses at a later semester.

What are pre-requisites and co-requisites?
A pre-requisite is a course that you must successfully complete PRIOR to enrolling in another course. The engineering curriculum requires a lot of pre-requisites, because one course's content builds upon knowledge gained in earlier courses. Good preparation is key to your success! A co-requisite is a course that you take concurrently―in the same semester―as another course. For example, students who enroll in CHEM 1221 (Chemistry for Engineers lab) must also enroll in CHEN 1211 (Chemistry for Engineers lecture and recitation).

Am I required to take an introductory engineering course?
Verify with your academic advisor whether or not your major requires an introductory course. These are typically 1- or 2-credit hour courses (AREN 1316, CHEN 1300, CSCI 1000, CVEN 1317, ECEN 1100, EVEN 1000, COEN 1500). Although it is recommended that you take the respective introductory course so you can become familiar with what your major department has to offer, you may be able to get the course waived and replaced with other engineering, math, or science-related coursework. If you are interested in taking an introductory course outside of your current major, you may need to contact the hosting department to enroll. Students beyond the freshman year typically do not enroll in an introductory engineering course.

How soon do I get to do hands-on engineering?
Engineering Projects courses (GEEN 1400, COEN 1400, COEN 1410, ECEN 1400, ASEN 1400) are introductory hands-on courses offered by the college. A number of majors either require a hands-on engineering course, or will apply it toward elective credit. If you are pre-med or a double-degree student, there may be options of other courses to take, but any of these are great courses and will give you an introduction to hands-on engineering.

What is a recitation?
Many of the 1000-level courses on campus are large lectures, e.g., PSYC 1001 (Introduction to Psychology) and meet in a room that holds 450 people. So in order to enhance the learning experience, multiple sub-sections (recitations) are created to accompany the lecture. These recitations are much smaller and allow for discussion, group work, or to review homework.

What is a waitlist and should I avoid it?
Waitlists are activated when a course reaches the enrollment limit. It is generally a very good idea to avoid waitlists. Better to register for an alternate section where you are guaranteed a spot.

Waitlisted students may be enrolled into a course during the first two weeks of classes whenever an enrolled student drops. Make sure to check to see if you've been enrolled into the course―remember, registration is ALWAYS the student's responsibility, so stay on top of this situation. If, however, you're on a waitlist, go to class and talk to the professor about the likelihood of getting into the course.

What if I don't make it into a course?
Consider the Course Reservation Program to reserve your spot in the class for next semester.

How does drop/add work?
You will have a limited time each semester to adjust your course schedule, i.e., to "add" a class to your schedule of courses, or "drop" a class from your schedule. There will be a period before classes start, and limited additional time after classes have started. Click here for information about this process and to see the various deadlines.

What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from classes?
When you "drop" a class, you still remained enrolled in other coursework during the semester. An overzealous freshman might initially enroll in 17 credits, but then decide to "drop" a 3-credit course during the second week of classes. A "withdrawal" is essentially dropping out of ALL classes, so the student no longer remains enrolled at the university. This is a withdrawal from the university, with more consequences than simply dropping one course. Get withdrawal information from the Registrar's Office.

How can I get help with a course?
If you need help with a class, the Student Academic Services Center can help you find an appropriate tutor. They also offer study sessions and workshops that can help you develop strategies to succeed at CU-Boulder. Visit SASC for more information. The college also offers a number of academic support programs, including group review sessions, individual and drop-in tutoring, improving study skills and strategies, and community support.

Is 10 minutes long enough to get across campus between classes? How do I figure out where my classes meet?
It takes about 10 minutes at a brisk walking pace to get from the Engineering Center on the east side of campus to the other side of campus. If you have a bike or skateboard, bring it―they are a great way to get across campus. Campus Map

Important Announcements

CUEngineering:  A publication for alumni and friends. Read the 2016 edition of CUEngineering magazine here.

University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks
College of Engineering & Applied Science
Contact Us