Published: July 14, 2017

#ILookLikeAnEngineer

What does #iLookLikeAnEngineer mean to you?

The #iLookLikeAnEngineer campaign means that anyone can be an engineer. It doesn't matter what you look like, what your hobbies are, where you come from, or anything else. It only matters that you love what you do, and what we do is solve problems and have fun!

Why did you choose engineering at CU Boulder?

To me, coming to CU was a no-brainer. There was nowhere else I could see myself. The campus is beautiful, the people are amazing, and the engineering curriculum is outstanding. To me, it gave me the best chance at a promising future as an engineer, and also had the most opportunities for extra-curricular endeavors as well.

What are your hobbies?

I love reading and writing, as well as listening to music. While engineering is fun, it's hard to do engineering all day, every day. Taking time for less technical pursuits helps me stay well rounded and helps me appreciate my engineering classes more.

What do you enjoy most about engineering?

The challenges. I love that my classes aren't always easy. I have to really work and grow as a person to accomplish my goals. It is incredibly rewarding for me. I love that engineering pushes me to be my best, often out of my comfort zone.

What are you up to these days?

Since January, I've been working at Colorado Space Grant Consortium as a structures engineer. Over the summer, I am working there to prepare for our launch in September.

Mary Rahjes, class of 2019, Mechanical Engineering