From: Vital Student E-Memo (memofrom@Colorado.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 17 2009 - 19:29:10 MDT
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:29:10 -0600 (MDT) From: Vital Student E-Memo <memofrom@Colorado.EDU> Subject: Your Right to Know
TO: All Students
FROM: Office of the Registrar
SUBJECT: Your Right to Know
Federal regulations now require institutions of higher education to provide students, each year, with a list of the information to which they are legally entitled.
Much of the information is safety related or financial in nature, but other broad categories are included such as graduation rates, athletic information, and the various costs associated with attending the institution.
CU-Boulder has complied with the federal Higher Education Amendments of 1998 since they went into effect by publishing the required information in both print and Web formats. A CU-Boulder website (www.colorado.edu/administration/righttoknow) provides the list, in one central location, and links you to other sites where specific compliance information is located.
The list includes information on:
* Accreditation and Licensing - provides a link to the institution's regional accrediting organization, the most recent self-study report related to the accreditation process, and college and school websites on which information can be viewed about accreditation and licensing relevant to specific disciplines
* Alcohol and Other Drugs - comprehensive information on CU-Boulder alcohol and drug policies, prevention of drug and alcohol abuse, and links to related sites
* Athletic Program - varsity sports list and how to obtain a printed brochure that provides data on athletic program participation rates and financial support
* Costs - a thorough, detailed overview of the costs associated with attending CU-Boulder provided in printed form (individual handouts) and on the Web at www.colorado.edu/bursar
* Degree Programs and Catalogs - links to current and past CU-Boulder and continuing education catalogs that contain summaries of campus facilities, programs, and services; descriptions of colleges, schools, and individual departments; and degree requirements, course descriptions, and faculty listings
* Disability Services - services and facilities that support students with disabilities
* Financial Aid - links to a comprehensive list of financial aid information
* Graduation Rates - graduation and retention rates as well as enrollment summaries by gender, ethnicity, major, etc.
* Records - students' rights with respect to educational records as outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
* Safety and Security - the campus security report contained in "Ralphie's Guide" at www.colorado.edu/ralphie/features/safety includes information regarding campus security and personal safety, and addresses topics such as crime prevention, university police officer enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, and campus disciplinary procedures. The guide also contains crime statistics for the three previous calendar years, including reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by CU-Boulder, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The guide also explains where information on registered sex offenders associated with CU may be obtained.
* Colorado Law on Student Riots - links to the text of the law
* Withdrawal - links to information students need to know if they withdraw from their courses; explains the Time Out Program; lists deadlines, rules, and refund assessment schedules
A separate page on the right-to-know website lists CU-Boulder office locations, hours, addresses, and phone numbers. Current and prospective students may contact these offices to obtain consumer information on student financial assistance and the general institutional issues listed above.
The university is also now required to provide annual notification of the right-to-know information to both prospective and currently enrolled students. In response to this requirement, the CU-Boulder prospective student viewbook, Ralphie's Guide to Student Life, and other widely distributed student publications include this notice.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.6 : Thu Sep 17 2009 - 19:29:11 MDT