From: General Student Ememo (memofrom@Colorado.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 20:36:35 MST
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:36:35 -0700 (MST) From: General Student Ememo <memofrom@Colorado.EDU> Subject: Cultural Diversity Bulletin
TO: Select CU Students
FROM: Office of Diversity and Equity
SUBJECT: Cultural Diversity Bulletin
CULTURAL DIVERSITY BULLETIN, a service of the Office of Diversity and Equity
February 23, 2007. In this issue:
-- FROM THE OFFICE OF DIVERSITY & EQUITY
-- BLACK AWARENESS MONTH
-- UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES PROGRAM
-- $$ SCHOLARSHIPS $$ AVAILABLE
-- 2007-2008 UNDERGRAD PRE-HEALTH PROGRAM FOR UNDERREPRESENTED STUDENTS
-- CENTER FOR MULTICULTURAL AFFAIRS EVENTS
-- CAREER SERVICES OPPORTUNITIES
-- OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION
-- GLBTRC EVENTS
-- DO YOU RELY ON ELEVATORS FOR ACCESS ON CAMPUS?
-- MCNAIR: OFFERS PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
FROM THE OFFICE OF DIVERSITY AND EQUITY
* After many years of compiling this bulletin to inform students of
opportunities on campus, we will no longer be sending out this e-memo.
However, all of the information will now be posted through the Diversity
channel which can be accessed via CUConnect and also through our website at
* ODE spring 2007 -Focus on Diversity- newsletter is now online. Visit on
the Office of Diversity and Equity website at
http://www.colorado.edu/cu-diversity/newsletter.html, select Spring 2007 to
download the spring edition.
BLACK AWARENESS MONTH
* Celebrate Black History Month and enrich your education of black
awareness by enjoying lectures, films, soul food, and more. All events are fee
and open to the public. A full list of events are found at:
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES PROGRAM (UROP)
* Why seek funding for undergraduate projects? You'll gain in-depth
knowledge in your area of interest, an understanding of scholarly norms, and
assumptions of the field. Form close student-faculty relationships and get
mentoring, and academic and professional credentials which will aid future
endeavors. Questions? visit http://www.colorado.edu/Research/UROP/ or call
$$ SCHOLARSHIPS $$ AVAILABLE
* The Black Alumni Association is now accepting scholarship applications
for 2007-2008. Information and an application form are available at
http://www.cualum.org/clubs/baa/index. The application deadline is April 15.
The Association selects three to five awards for incoming freshmen and
currently enrolled students in various amounts, depending on need. Questions?
contact Monteith Mitchell, 303-492-5526 or email@example.com.
* There are several scholarships available to students of color for CU
Study Abroad Programs. Please visit our website http://studyabroad.colorado.edu
or stop by our office in the basement of the Environmental Design Building for
* Latin American Education Foundation Scholarships due March 1. Since
1949, LAEF has been helping students overcome the financial hardships of
attending college. For more info, visit http://www.laef.org or call
* Don't let scholarship opportunities pass you by! The deadline for
submitting the 2007-2008 Office of Financial Aid's Online Scholarship
Application is March, 1, 2007. Access the application via CUConnect account
through the Financial Aid channel and clicking on the Scholarship Services
link. You must also submit your 2007-2008 FAFSA by March 1, 2007. Contact
scholarship services at 303-492-4533 for more information.
* Mike & Bobbi Resmo Opportunity Scholarship deadline to is March 1, 2007.
Application and information about this scholarship can be found at
* The Hispanic Alumni Association University of Colorado at Boulder
Scholarship Fund application is available at:
http://www.colorado.edu/finaid/forms/hispanicschol.pdf. The deadline for this
scholarship is April 27, 2007.
* The Malcolm Erickson Scholarship deadline is March 1, 2007. Application
and information about this scholarship can be found at
2007-2008 UNDERGRAD PRE-HEALTH PROGRAM FOR UNDERREPRESENTED STUDENTS
* The goal of the program is to increase the number of first generation
undergraduate students from diverse and traditionally under-represented groups
in all the different health care careers. Freshman or sophomore status
required. Applications due March 30. For more information, visit
CENTER FOR MULTICULTURAL AFFAIRS EVENTS
* The Center for Multicultural Affairs (CMA) welcomes you. Take a break,
relax and enjoy yourself at one of our events or utilize the many services the
Center has to offer: counseling, workshops, study skills, academic guidance,
leadership development, computer lab, student lounge area, mentoring, and much,
much more. Willard 118, 303-492-5667.
* Race Still Matters: Chicano/Latino -- Tuesday, Feb. 27, 7:15-8:15pm,
* Race Still Matters: African American -- Tuesday, March 6, 7:15-8:15pm,
CAREER SERVICES OPPORTUNITIES
* The Center of the American West is offering an internship program during
Fall 2007 semester to provide juniors and seniors the opportunity to work in
public and private organizations dealing with Western American topics and
issues. Deadline to apply is Monday, April 16. Visit
http://www.centerwest.org/academics/internships/index.php or call 303-735-1399
for more information.
OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION
* Join the International Peer Mentors, a group of international and
American CU students who organize fun activities, trips and events. They host
a weekly dinner called "Wednesday at Somewhere." To find out where the peers
are meeting each week, subscribe to their list: go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boulder-happy-hour/, click on the "Join this
Group!-, sign into Yahoo! and follow the instructions.
* Movie nights by the GLBTRC, 5pm every other Tuesday and will be shown in
the 4th floor of Willard. Stop Willard 227 for more information.
* Join us in the GLBT Resource Center in Willard 227 each Thursday at noon
for conversations about important topics affecting the lesbian, gay, bisexual,
transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and ally community. Feel free to
bring your lunch for the upcoming topics. For more information, please contact
the GLBT Resource Center at 303-492-1377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO YOU RELY ON ELEVATORS FOR ACCESS ON CAMPUS?
* Facilities Management and the Chancellor's Program Accessibility
Committee (PAC) are establishing a call list of individuals who rely on
elevators for access to work spaces and academic areas. This list will be used
to notify individuals when elevator outages are anticipated or to provide an
alert when a sudden elevator outage has occurred. Use the link below to
provide your information through an online form:
MCNAIR: PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
* PAID summer internships for science students! We are now offering
access to summer internships for rising juniors in the sciences. Funding can
include compensation in the form of travel, a living allowance and a stipend.
Applications will be accepted until March 15 or the positions are filled.
Preparation for these summer internships will begin by February 15, 2007. Apply
now to get the best opportunities possible. For more information contact Kent
Wagner at email@example.com or at 303-492-3729.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.6 : Mon Feb 19 2007 - 20:36:36 MST