Important Message: Colorado Court Ruling Regarding Concealed Weapons on Campus

From: News Alert E-Memo (memofrom@colorado.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2012 - 12:35:21 MST

    Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:35:21 -0700 (MST)
    From: News Alert E-Memo <memofrom@colorado.edu>
    Subject: Important Message: Colorado Court Ruling Regarding Concealed Weapons on Campus

    TO: CU-Boulder Faculty, Staff and Students

    FROM: Philip P. DiStefano, chancellor

    SENDER: Office of the Chancellor

    DATE: March 5, 2012

    SUBJECT: Important Message: Colorado Court Ruling Regarding Concealed Weapons on Campus

    Dear CU community:

    Today, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled against the University of Colorado
    Board of Regents authority to set weapons policies outside of the provisions of
    Colorado's 2003 Concealed Carry Act.

    "We are disappointed the Colorado Supreme Court determined that the Board of
    Regents does not, in this instance, have the constitutional and statutory
    authority to determine what policies will best promote the health and welfare
    of the university's students, faculty, staff and visitors, whose safety is
    our top priority. The Board of Regents is in the best position to determine how
    we meet that imperative. We will abide by the ruling and determine how it
    affects our campuses."

    I echo President Benson's statement on the ruling, which means that those
    over the age of 21 who possess a valid Colorado Concealed-Carry permit can
    carry a weapon anywhere on the CU-Boulder campus. Those under 21 are still
    barred from having weapons on campus and we will vigorously enforce this
    policy.

    You should be aware that, of our resident students on campus, only 7% are over
    21 and the University of Colorado Police Department (CUPD) estimates that less
    than 0.6% of the University faculty, staff and students have a valid
    Concealed-Carry Permit (CCP). Further, under current state law, having a CCP
    does not allow a person to use his or her weapon to knowingly place or attempt
    to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.

    As always, should you see anyone with a weapon acting in a menacing manner,
    please immediately contact CUPD. If any member of our campus community shares a
    concern related to weapons on campus, please provide that information to CUPD
    immediately by calling dispatch at 303-492-6666. Our on-campus students can
    also contact their residence hall director or CUPD at 303-492-6666.

    Please know that even as we enforce the law, the safety of our students,
    faculty and staff is our top priority.

    Sincerely,

    Philip P. DiStefano, chancellor
    University of Colorado Boulder