From: News Alert E-Memo (memofrom@Colorado.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 20:01:43 MDT
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:01:43 -0600 (MDT) From: News Alert E-Memo <memofrom@Colorado.EDU> Subject: Please Update Your IdentiKey Password Before the Semester Start
TO: All Boulder Campus Students
FROM: Information Technology Services
Kenneth Schuetz, Director of Operations, Service and Support
SENDER: Information Technology Services
SUBJECT: Please Update Your IdentiKey Password Before the Semester Start
Our campus is in the midst of an effort to bring all IdentiKey passwords into compliance with CU System Office policy for password strength, allowing IdentiKey passwords to more securely access on-line services. IdentiKey passwords must be changed by going to CU-Boulder Identity Manager located at https://cuidm.colorado.edu.
Many of you have already updated your password in response to this effort and we thank you for your diligence. I would like to encourage those of you who haven't updated your password to do so before the start of the fall semester. Changing your password is simple and quick but could get easily put off after the start of classes. Not changing your password by November 9 will result in the inability to access services that use IdentiKeys.
Here is what you should know about the new IdentiKey password requirements:
- IdentiKey passwords must now be at least 10 characters long and consist of three character classes: letters, numbers and symbols
- If you have already changed your password using CU-Boulder Identity Manager, you don't need to do it again
- After changing your password, please immediately update your password if it is stored in applications that use your IdentiKey (i.e. e-mail applications, smartphones, password managers, CULearn, CUConnect, etc.) and restart your devices to avoid being locked out when such applications attempt to log in using your former password (for help go to http://www.colorado.edu/its/announcements/passwords/update.html).
- Related to this change, after five failed attempts to login to a campus service with an IdentiKey, such as CULink, CUConnect or CULearn, you will have to wait five minutes before attempting to login again or you may reset your password using CU-Boulder Identity Manager. Identity Manager can also be used to look up your login name.
- Failure to update your password by November 9 will result in the inability to access services that use IdentiKeys
- For tips on choosing a good password check out
- Beware of those trying to steal your password through phishing. The university will never send e-mail asking for your password and you should never send passwords via e-mail.
- Learn more about the password update at http://www.colorado.edu/its/announcements/passwords
Your IdentiKey is your key to access vital campus and system resources such as CULink and the portals. Strengthening your IdentiKey password has become increasingly important as it is the key to access your personal data, which is increasingly being offered online, through the portals, for your convenience. Please take a moment to update your password today at https://cuidm.colorado.edu.
If you have questions about this effort, please contact the IT Service Center at email@example.com or call 303-735-4357 (5-HELP from a campus phone). Phone help is available 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.6 : Tue Aug 10 2010 - 20:01:44 MDT