Candidates for the Post-BA Teacher Licensure program have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education. The degree does not have to be within the licensure field. However, state-mandated licensure requirements must be fulfilled so that we may recommend candidates for licensure to the state.
Previous college coursework will be evaluated for appropriateness toward the fulfillment of any applicable licensure requirements. Any academic requirements not previously satisfied may be completed over the course of the program, up to a reasonable amount. The Post-BA program may be completed in as few as three full-time fall/spring semesters, but it is flexible enough in the semesters prior to student teaching to allow a candidate to stretch out their program to accommodate for work and/or family responsibilities. Be aware that part-time attendance and the completion of academic requirements will lengthen the course of study.
The School of Education at CU Boulder offers teacher licensure in the following areas:
- Elementary Education (K-6)
- Secondary Education (7-12)
- Choose a specialization in one of the following: English, Math, Science, Social Studies, or World Languages (French, German, Japanese, Latin, Russian, or Spanish)
- Music Education (K-12)
In addition to working with faculty in the classroom, you will also be placed in public schools throughout the Denver/Boulder area, earning 800 hours of youth interaction. These experiences will expose you to a wide range of classrooms and student populations and ensure that you are highly qualified to enter the teaching field.
Please look over our Post-Baccalaureate Prospective Student Guide and let us know what specific questions you may have.
Click the following for more information:
- C&I: Humanities Education
- C&I: Literacy Studies
- C&I: Math & Science Education
- C&I: Research on Teaching & Teacher Education
- EECD: Educational Equity & Cultural Diversity
- EFPP: Educational Foundations, Policy & Practice
- LSHD: Learning Sciences & Human Development
- REM: Research & Evaluation Methodology
- MA + Licensure
- Partners in Education (PIE)