Awards & Honors
- Engaged Scholarship Grant, Colorado Campus Compact
- Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in the Social Sciences (CARTSS) Grant, CU-Boulder
- The Stahl Prize in Ethics, Department of Philosophy, CU-Boulder
- Ernest A. Bigelow Award (Beverly Sears Named Graduate Student Research Grant), Graduate School, CU-Boulder
- Education Policy and Political Theory
- Methodology and Philosophy of Social Science
- Service-Learning, Civic Engagement, and Leadership Education
- Feminist Theory and Gender Studies
- Environmental Education and Ecological Citizenship
- Philosophy and Ethics of Education
Service & Outreach
As an instructor with INVST Community Studies, a small academic unit at the University of Colorado (CU) Boulder and a national leader in experiential and service-based leadership education for more than twenty years, I teach upper division courses, develop curriculum, and coordinate service-learning offerings.
Meens, D. E. (In press). Do our Children Need better Character Education?; Education: A Private Good?; Is Education Being ‘Dumbed Down’? Chapters 32, 38, and 47 in Berliner, D. C., Glass, G. V & Associates. 50 Myths that Are Destroying Our Nation's Schools. NY: Teachers College Press.
Meens, D. E. [Accepted]. Philosopher, Know Thyself: Metaphilosophical and Methodological Reflection in Philosophy of Education as Requisite for Successful Interdisciplinarity. Philosophy of Education 2013. Urbana, IL: Philosophy of Education Society.
Meens, D. E. [Invited - in progress]. A review of The Last Book of Postmodernism by Michael Peters. Education Review.