How Do I Apply?
All applicants are encouraged to read the application instructions before applying.
- CU-Boulder Graduate School Application for Admission. Please note: The MA Plus program only begins in the FALL semester. The application allows you to select any admission term that you wish, but you must select a fall term to be considered. Failure to select a fall term may disqualify your application.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation. Two letters of recommendation should come from a college-level instructor who can speak to your academic competencies. If you cannot acquire an academic letter, the letters should be from someone who can provide anecdotal evidence of how you interact with youth and your suitability to the teaching profession, or from someone (e.g. an employer) who can provide some anecdotal evidence about the following skills: written and oral communication, analytical reasoning, and/or the ability to read complex material. Letters may not be from a neighbor, friend, or relative.
- Personal Statement. The statement should be 1,000 words in length, and must be uploaded prior to submitting the CU Graduate Application for Admission. Please address each of the following:
- Why you want to become a (level/subject) teacher and why now.
- Description of a powerful learning experience in your life and how it might inform your own teaching in the future.
- Reflection on personal strengths (e.g., intellectual passion, academic abilities, dispositions to work with youth and professional colleagues) and lived experiences that you will build upon to reach and teach all learners.
- $50 University Application Fee. The application fee may be paid online when you submit your CU Graduate Application for Admission. You may also submit a check payable to University of Colorado Boulder.
- Youth Experience Verification Form. Evidence of your ability to interact positively and work constructively for a minimum of 25 hours with school-aged children of the appropriate age for the licensure you seek. All applicants must submit a Youth Experience Verification Form completed by a supervisor who can verify the amount, level, and kinds of interactions performed.
- Acceptable age ranges: Secondary 11-18
- Unacceptable experiences: Peer counseling performed in high school, providing childcare, any experience supervised by a relative or friend, any experience involving your own children, child relatives, or a friend’s children.
- Time limit: 5 years from the application deadline
- One official transcript from every college you have attended.
The CU Graduate Application for Admission and Personal Statement must be submitted electronically. Electronic submissions of the letters of recommendation and application fee are preferred. Remember, if you are having letters of recommendation submitted electronically, you need to submit your application earlier than the deadline. MAKE SURE YOUR NAME IS ON ALL MATERIALS. Any materials not submitted electronically (i.e. transcripts, Youth Experience Verification Forms, application fees paid by check, or recommendations submitted on paper) must be mailed to:
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0553
Overnight or express mail
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine St Bldg RL3
Boulder, CO 80303-1058